Should LGBTQ members be allowed to adopt?

From 1977 to 2010 all 50 of our state's debated on whether or not to let LGBTQ members and same-sex relationships adopt, in 1977 the first state to let same-sex partners become parents was New Jersey, and the last state in 2010 was Florida. Several other states continue to ban adoption for same-sex Partners who have not married being that same-sex Partners could still not adopt because LGBTQ marriage was not legal, queer marriage first became legal in 2004. 

It has been proven that homosexual parents are more motivated more involved and more committed to being parents than heterosexual parents. Lots of homosexual parents form a more stable relationship with their kids Giving a kid a more secure and more emotionally stable home. Children feel safer When they're not judged by their parents and are more likely to open up and talk about things that are going on. homosexual parents are more likely to judge or to be more open and listening to their kids because they know what it is like to be judged and shamed.

An estimated number of over two million LGBTQ people are looking to adopt in the united states. A little over 117,000 are waiting to be adopted. The Percent of opposite-sex couples that are Likely to adopt is about 1.1 % compared to the  3.1% of same-sex. Overall there's no doubt in my mind that LGBTQ members should always be allowed to adopt.

Should LGBTQ members be allowed to adopt? 

If you say no why not?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think they should be able to adopt because all that matters is if the parent is mentally stable enough to take care of a child and if the parent can financially provide for child as well as keep a safe, clean, and heathly home. Plus its not just about the parent its also about the kid becasue if that child has opportunity to join someones safe and heathly home it shouldnt matter if they're lgbqt or not.

• I think that anyone that has proven they are able to care for a child, they should be able to adopt no matter the sex, race, and sexuality. Many women can't have kids due to infertality and adoption is one of the best options for them. And its super sad knowing this is even a topic, being part of the LGBTQ community doesnt make anyone less of a person than anyone else 

• my opinion is all kids shouls have parents. any sexual oriantation and race but not all parents should have kids. how i see it some parents are schmucks and need not and extra being to look outfor and give care to so seeing as the "couple that is adopting " is qualifyed i see no problem to giving an orphaned child to them to raise

• I think that they should be able to adopt because kids having parents is benificial. I may not agree with the LGBTQ stuff but I do agreee that they can adopt if they so choose to. Having parents to help support a child is benificial for when the child grows up they have help when they need. 

• This is a great topic and thank you for writing it, yes they should have to same rights as a family that  biologically can’t have kids, it just wouldn’t be fair but look at they said about roe vs wade law, but i think that it would have a positive impact if the LGBTQ+ are able to adopt. If you cannot have kids would you adopt? 

• I do believe that LBTQ members should be able to adopt. I feel that just because you like the same sex or so on should not affect whether or not you can or can not adopt. In my opinion it's just only fair, I mean if you want to adopt I reccomend it. 

• Yes, I believe that LGBTQ+ should be allowed to adopt because I don’t really see the harm in them wanting to create a family of their own especially, if physically they can’t. I also believe that just because they love a little differently than everyone else doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t be able to live like everyone else, they don’t deserve to be excluded just because they don’t love the same as you do. It also could be healthy for that child mentally because their parents know what it feels like to be judged and picked on.

• they should be able to adopt, if you are capable and willing to adopt then it should be no problem. there is no difference besides sex, does it really matter if you have a mom and a dad or 2 dads or moms? the excuse "but they need a mom" is unfair what about single dads they don't get berated about not having a wife. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker