Should kids in high school have to be required to take PE?

Some kids might be struggling in classes and during that time they are in physical education, they could spend it in a class with the teacher to help them. Other kids could be behind in classes and need a study hall but physical education is in the way so if it's not required then they could have a study hall. It could be a problem for a lot of kids who don’t have enough money to buy tennis shoes or athletic clothing because if you don’t have shorts or sweats and tennis shoes then it will affect your grade in physical education.  

A lot of people are in physical education only because it's a requirement and there is no choice. Being forced to participate, especially in sports children don't prefer or may not feel able to do or feel comfortable doing it, especially in front of athletic people. Physical education courses include fitness training, sports and games that could potentially result in physical injury. A lot of weak or unathletic people get bullied by athletic and strong people because they think they are better than others so the people getting bullied get down about themselves.

There are also lots of good reasons why you should take a physical education class. For example you get wonderful exercise, you get to talk to your friends, play games, and you get a break from school and all the hard work. Regular physical exercises are associated with a healthier, longer life and with a lower risk of serious illnesses and diseases. 

Studies have shown that physical education leads to improvements in students’ academic performance and cognitive abilities too. Therefore mental health too is guaranteed with physical education.

For students who are not good at team sports, physical education class can lead to stress, anxiety or feelings of low self-worth. These negative outcomes are more likely if those students are chosen last or not at all for team play during physical education class. 

What is your opinion about this? 

Would you want to do pe if you weren't athletic? 

Do you like pe even if you are good at games and running? 

https://www.careerride.com/view/physical-education-should-not-be-mandatory-in-schools-25968.aspx

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/physicalactivity/physical-education.htm

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and well done overall Jaylee! I do think you should have started off with more of an intro paragrpah to define your topic better. I also would have liked to seen if there is research out there on the importance of PE in schools.

• I think that PE should be a required class. It gives students the oppertunity to excercize and practice healthy habits. Even if you aren't athletic, you still need to exercize and PE is a great way to get your workout in for the day. Playing games in PE is a good way to make exercizing more fun for those who may not enjoy it. 

• I think P.E should be required. I think p.e help and teaches you to be active and it also healthy. And also p.e teaches you social skills like not be shy to talk to other and also teaches team work. 

• I think that P.E. should be required in high school. It provides everyday exercise for people. I think that no matter what, people should have at least some exercise. I wouldn't even consider myself athletic, but if I didn't workout outside of school, I would take lifting. I don't think you need to be athletic to lift weights.

• I dont think that PE should be requierd. Some people just dont like PE and some poeple love it. I say take the class if you wanna take the class. But some kids absoluty hate PE and yes that is their opinion and it should be their choice. 

• I think P.E should be a requirement for students. The bullying of non-athletic students is important to focus on too. Having physical education class keeps your mental health or physical health in good shape. Theres always P.E classes before school too if you don't wanna take it in the school schedule.

• I think PE should be required for students. I get the negative side of things, but the positive side benefits you more. I personally agree that it takes up time t hat could be used for kids to get their grade up. PE should only be required for one semester, the other semester you get to choose if you want to have the class or not.

• I believe that kids that are not in any sports should have to. They should have to be in a sport at that time. So you could not be in basketball but not take a pe class in the spring. If pe does not fit into your schedule then you could always take an early lifing class before school.

• I think that P.E. should be required for high school students not participating in a sport because it leads to both academic and physical growth. However, I do not think it is right to force someone to take a P.E. class if that individual is taking part in a sport. However, for those kids who are not participating in a sport, I feel like they should be subjected to one semester of Physical Education. 

• I think kids that aren't participating in sports should have to. Or maybe the kids that are only in 1 sport. But 2 or more sports a year should not have to partipate in PE. Because there is a lot of kids who shouldn't have to do PE if they are very involved in sports, and are already getting enough exercise after school. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker