Should kids be able to pick classes?

Though kids do not like school, should they be able to pick their own classes? There is a lot of controversy if kids pick their own classes they will like school way better and it will set them in the right way with what they wanna do after school. Also it is stated it lets kids have some steam off, they say start with small activities. Then move up to what they wanna do. Most kids want to go to college not into the work force right away, but if they offer classes that are in college most people will not want to go to college because they have already did it in highschool. People think that math is useless in highschool because you will never learn it in life, that is why people wanna pick the classes they want to do after highschool.

A lot of people say that if school changed which they can pick there own classes many people would be happy. Also kids would have more responsibility and freedom. Also it leads students to want what they wanna do, if they don't wanna do that subject they can change to try something else before getting college. I also think that it could screw up some college places because no kids will wanna go to college because they have already did it in highschool. The school we have right now is also stressing kids out because they feel there is no point to Science,English,Math,etc.

I personally think we should be able to pick classes we want to take because I will need that after school.

https://www.thesunchronicle.com/opinion/columns/guest-column-why-students-should-choose-their-own-classes/article_9b794965-5d99-55c0-9890-fa66d23ce407.html

https://www.teachhub.com/professional-development/2020/12/the-benefits-of-student-choice/#:~:text=There%20is%20a%20myriad%20of,students%20are%20involved%20and%20engaged.

Do you think we should pick our own classes?

Do you think colleges would lose money?

Should the government make a change?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• i feel we should pick our own classes as we should have the right to choose what we do. i do feel colleges will lose money as they do offer high school classes but i feel no one will take them. i doubt the government will make the change.

• I don't think that there's anything wrong or bad about students being able to choose what classes they take in school, especially college classes for upperclassmen. If a student plans on working in a field that requires a specific college degree that requires certain classes to obtain said degree then they should be allowed to take those necessary college classes in school while it's cheaper and more hands-on.

• I think that kids should be able to pick their own classes. I think that the core classes like math, science and english should be required because they give education that you willl most likely need in any field, but they should be able to pick all other classes. 

• I do think that students should be able to choose their classes based on what interestes them and what they will need in the future. I also think that students woule be more engaged in the class and focus more if the topic or class in general interests them. It is very beneficial that we are able to choose electives and aren't forced to be in certain classes we don't like. 

• I agree, I think we should be able to focus on what we wanna do.

• I think that students should be able to pick their own classes. I really enjoy being able to choose my classes and also having electives, because we don't have that in Germany. However, I think that students should be required to take some basic classes of social studies, science and math because it is important to have a basic understanding about these subjects.

• Kids should be able to pick there own classes since they have to dedicate there whole year on school and where they will be spending there time for the rest of the day/year. Every kid deserves there spot in a class and not moved to a class because the teacher wants the kid in that class.

• I think that we should be able to pick our own classes because people might actually go to the class instead of skipping other classes. I think some colleges might lose money but I think some colleges might get more because of the classes they have and offer. I think the government should change it just to see how it goes because some students might not like the classes they have to take.

• I think that we should be able to pick our own classes because I think that kids would be more respsonable if they were able to pick there own classes. There are students that would love to pick classes that are want they want to do like Science,English,and Math.

• I think students should have the freedom to pick their classes. If students are taking classes they don't enjoy and won't use after high school, their is no point for them to be in school.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker