Should it be illegal to burn the American Flag?

On May 29, 1777 Betsy Ross was paid a large sum of money by the Pennsylvania State Navy Board to make the first American flag, which was officially approved on June 14, 1777. They had her make the flag to represent the new Union of the thirteen original states. The flag had stars arranged in a circle, representing that all colonies were equal. The American flag Is a symbol of freedom and justice that has been around for over 225 years. Even through wars and times of peace and harmony, the American flag has given assurance to all American citizens. The white shown on the flag represents purity and innocence. The blue represents vigilance, perseverance and justice, and the red represents hardiness and valor. This  flag represents all of the people who have died while fighting for the freedom of the United States. Although most people respect and love America there are some people who don't understand the true value of America’s freedom that our democracy has provided.

Activist Gregory Lee Johnson was the first man to burn the American flag during a protest outside of the Republican National Convention in Dallas, Texas in 1984. At the time Johnson was burning the flag in a disrespectful manner. In the Case Texas versus Gregory Lee Johnson, Johnson was fined $2,000 and sentenced to one year in jail according to Texas’s laws at the time. As of June 21, 1989 the deeply divided United States Supreme Court justified the right of the protesters to burn the American flag as an expression of the first amendment. 

Burning the American flag, in my opinion, should be illegal in the United States. Instead of retiring the flag respectfully it has been exploited by those who have chosen to disrespect it. The American flag has a specific meaning that is not subject to opinion.  Its purpose is to represent the freedoms of all Americans, taking that out of context and reading our own personal beliefs into the real meaning in order to protest something that is not reasonable or respectful.  I believe the Flag of our freedom should not be protested, but respected by all people.

Do you think it should be illegal to burn the American flag and if so what should the punishment be?               

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that it is rude to ruin the flag but I think even vetrans or anything should not be able to burn the flag.

• I personally think that it should be illegal to burn the American flag. It shows a ton of disrespect for our country. The flag represents our country and everyone that has fought for it. I believe it should be illegal to burn the flag.

• I agree, the flag when burned or ruined it is so disrespectful for our country. 

• Yes, I think that it should be illegal to burn the American flag because it has been the flag of our nation for 225 years and it just seems disrespectful however, I think the punishment should be some time in jail 

• I agree that the punishment should be jail time or even fines.

• I think that it should be illigual to burn or flag. It is a simbol of freedom and that it is disrespectful to burn it. There is a write way to burn it like you can take flags to the vets to be recycled. There is a proper way to get rid of old flags but if not in the right way I would want it to be illigual. 

• I agree that the flag is a symbol of our freedom and people should respect it.

• I think it should be illegal to burn it for defacing the flag. It is the flag of our nation and it should be respected as such. I hate when I see people being disrespectful for it as many veterans have died to keep that flag

• I agree that this flag represents us and when you burn it it is disrespecting our country.

• In my opoinion burin;kg the american flag is very disrespectful to the country. The reason for that is because very many people have died for serving that flag and I have a lot of peop;e in my family that have fought for that flag as well. The people that are burning them need to realize who is fighting for them.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker