Should homework be banned

“Roberto Nevelis of Venice, Italy is often credited with having invented homework in 1905.”  He says, “Its purpose was to be used as a punishment for students who were lazy in class or for those who were disobedient or rude to their teacher.” Homework is given out every school day by at least one teacher. There is a scientific study saying that students should have 10 minutes of homework for every grade starting at grade level 10. That means if you are a senior you should have about 2 hour of homework given to you by the teachers. Most teachers give homework for another way of studying, and they give it if you have bad grades to learn about the topic more.

Also the people that have after school activities, don't have much time to do their homework. The people in band and choir have to practice at their house and if they have homework then might not get it done. All of the football player have practice they have to go to and then they have to stay up late to do the homework, And with all of that they will not perform the best for football games, same with volleyball, soccer, track and cross country.

I think that homework should be banned. I think that the students should just have assignments in school.  You can get information and help with your class by doing homework, but if you are doing well in your class, then you should not have to do the homework. That is why I think homework should be banned.

Do you think that homework should be banned?

Do you think homework is worth doing or do you get information out of it?

https://study.com/blog/who-invented-homework-the-history-of-a-school-staple.html#:~:text=Roberto%20Nevelis%20of%20Venice%2C%20Italy,1905%2C%20depending%20on%20your%20sources

https://crimsonnews.org/7525/entertainment/homework-the-true-reality-behind-it/#:~:text=In%201905%2C%20an%20Italian%20teacher,frequently%20used%20around%20the%20world

https://www.wgu.edu/heyteach/article/should-students-have-homework1808.html#:~:text=He%20recommends%20following%20a%20%2210,120%20minutes%20of%20homework%20daily.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and super job replying to students! Your summary is fine but could be a bit longer.

• I feel as if though homework should be treated as a way to study the material so students have a better idea of what is to come when the test arrives on that subject.  Homework might not be enjoyable but it can still be beneficial as it would let people grasp a better understanding of the subject if they went through and took the time to do it. 

• I think that homework shouldn't be banned because it will improve your understanding of that subject. However, sometimes teachers give pointless homework, so I can see why some people think it should be banned. I think it is worth doing because it will help you with the class.

• I could honestly go either direction with this topic. On one hand I fully understand the reason of meaningful homework to better one's understanding of a topic. But, I do not think the constant busy work type homework is necessary. I think that this type of pointless homework does no good and only waste students' all ready limited time. 

• I have mixed feelings about the topic. I don't think we should get as much homework. Homework is a nice review and makes sure that we can understand and do the thing the teacher is teaching us. But yeah i understand your reasoning with sports and there isnt enough time to do that sort of stuff. 

• I think that homework should be banned because I feel it is a waste of my time. It is hard to get it done when you have sports and church things going on. I think it sometimes works but most the time it doesn't especially if I don't understand what I'm doing.

• I personally don't think homework should be banned. Yes, it should be reduced a little more than what it is. If you think about it you do get information out of homework. When doing homework you are slowly understanding what your doing. 

• I agree that home work whould be %100 banned from schools. If you learn it in class then why would you need to use it more outside of class. If the teacher assigns a work sheets are you are not finished at the end of the class period, then you should be able to work on it the next day. 

• I think that home work should not be 100% banned. I think that homework should be for people who do not participate in class. I agree with 7Logan when he said, "If it is done in the class, it should stay in the class." I think that if a teacher does gives you something, it should be quick and easy.

• I think that homework is unnecessary and already brudens students further with more school. I think if its taught in class it should stay in class.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker