Should homework be banned

“Roberto Nevelis of Venice, Italy is often credited with having invented homework in 1905.”  He says, “Its purpose was to be used as a punishment for students who were lazy in class or for those who were disobedient or rude to their teacher.” Homework is given out every school day by at least one teacher. There is a scientific study saying that students should have 10 minutes of homework for every grade starting at grade level 10. That means if you are a senior you should have about 2 hour of homework given to you by the teachers. Most teachers give homework for another way of studying, and they give it if you have bad grades to learn about the topic more.

Also the people that have after school activities, don't have much time to do their homework. The people in band and choir have to practice at their house and if they have homework then might not get it done. All of the football player have practice they have to go to and then they have to stay up late to do the homework, And with all of that they will not perform the best for football games, same with volleyball, soccer, track and cross country.

I think that homework should be banned. I think that the students should just have assignments in school.  You can get information and help with your class by doing homework, but if you are doing well in your class, then you should not have to do the homework. That is why I think homework should be banned.

Do you think that homework should be banned?

Do you think homework is worth doing or do you get information out of it?

https://study.com/blog/who-invented-homework-the-history-of-a-school-staple.html#:~:text=Roberto%20Nevelis%20of%20Venice%2C%20Italy,1905%2C%20depending%20on%20your%20sources

https://crimsonnews.org/7525/entertainment/homework-the-true-reality-behind-it/#:~:text=In%201905%2C%20an%20Italian%20teacher,frequently%20used%20around%20the%20world

https://www.wgu.edu/heyteach/article/should-students-have-homework1808.html#:~:text=He%20recommends%20following%20a%20%2210,120%20minutes%20of%20homework%20daily.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I 100% beleive the homework should be banned. I know that it sometimes helps but right now I am stressed out on how much homework I have to do. On top of that I will be gone monday and Tuesday so the means my homework is going to pile up and I will get so overwellmed that I will just shut down. If they dont ban homework they should at least not give us as much so we are not so overwelmed. 

• I agree, Homework is just to much work now a days, we have homework in about 3 classed a day and that builds up for a long time. I also think that if it was made as a punishment then why are we still getting homework today.

• I do think homework should be banned. Some teachers give you homework that takes your 45 minutes to complete and you get a whole two points for it. It also adds stress to a bunch of kids lives. 

• I agree the teachers give out way to much homework and then it gets a lot of kids stressed out and then they forget about the homewrok and dont do it. That all leads to bad grades and that is why homework should be banned.

• I don’t think that homework should be banned completely, but maybe that teachers could just give less of it. Maybe teachers could give homework every other day so that you have time to do it and to do other things like go to work everyday after school. I go to work until 9:00pm or 9:30pm so being able to have one extra day to get it done would really give me a lot less stress. I do think that homework helps you study prior to the test that might be coming up soon

• I agree, homework is just being given out way to much if it does not get banned it should at least get limmited to a little bit a week or a day. with everything now a days people just dont have time to do it and it drives people crazy.

• I think homework shouldnt be banned but I also think some of it should be optional. Because if you were to be studing for a test and its homework but you already know everything and dont need to study it's just a waist of time. But sometimes when teacher are just having a bad day and feel like taking it out on there students and giving them homework. 

• I agree, some people do need to do homework because some people strugle in there classes, but some people just get so much homewrok that they cant get it all done and they start to get bad grades. I think that if homework was optional then peoples grades will start to go up.

• I think that homework shouldn't be banned, but I do think that homework should be limited. I think that teachers assign too much homework at a time, like its either a lot of homework or not that much. I think that we could get information out of homework.

• I agree, I think that the homework that all the teachers hand out should at least be limited, because most of the time people can't get all there homework done because they have to much. But if it get limited then all the kids and teachers could be happy.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker