Should homework be banned

“Roberto Nevelis of Venice, Italy is often credited with having invented homework in 1905.”  He says, “Its purpose was to be used as a punishment for students who were lazy in class or for those who were disobedient or rude to their teacher.” Homework is given out every school day by at least one teacher. There is a scientific study saying that students should have 10 minutes of homework for every grade starting at grade level 10. That means if you are a senior you should have about 2 hour of homework given to you by the teachers. Most teachers give homework for another way of studying, and they give it if you have bad grades to learn about the topic more.

Also the people that have after school activities, don't have much time to do their homework. The people in band and choir have to practice at their house and if they have homework then might not get it done. All of the football player have practice they have to go to and then they have to stay up late to do the homework, And with all of that they will not perform the best for football games, same with volleyball, soccer, track and cross country.

I think that homework should be banned. I think that the students should just have assignments in school.  You can get information and help with your class by doing homework, but if you are doing well in your class, then you should not have to do the homework. That is why I think homework should be banned.

Do you think that homework should be banned?

Do you think homework is worth doing or do you get information out of it?

https://study.com/blog/who-invented-homework-the-history-of-a-school-staple.html#:~:text=Roberto%20Nevelis%20of%20Venice%2C%20Italy,1905%2C%20depending%20on%20your%20sources

https://crimsonnews.org/7525/entertainment/homework-the-true-reality-behind-it/#:~:text=In%201905%2C%20an%20Italian%20teacher,frequently%20used%20around%20the%20world

https://www.wgu.edu/heyteach/article/should-students-have-homework1808.html#:~:text=He%20recommends%20following%20a%20%2210,120%20minutes%20of%20homework%20daily.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, I have relized that homework being banned is/wont be good for everyone so if some people get it or if everyone gets a little than that should be good/easy enough for everyone to do. with that then they will have time to do what ever else they need to do outside of school.

• In my opinion, I don't believe homework should be banned, instead, it should be lessened. I believe this because certain homework can be helpful for students. For example, studying and unfinished work in class can help students in class, and homework also should help thier grade. This homework is great for kids; however, a lot of homework is just busy-work for students to do at home instead of school. This busy-work can eat into a student's schedule and make them stay up later than they would have, and this will not only just be unhelpful to the student's learning, but also harmful to their grade if they stay up late doing homework when they need sleep for a test in the morning. Although homework could be helpful to give information to students, most of the information a student gets should be learned at school, which already takes up about half of their day.

• I agree homework should be limited so people who are in sports and have work can do that stuff and not have to worry about homewrok every single day. I also think that people should not have to d the homework because they shouldmlearn everything they need in the class if they pay ettention.

• I don't think it should be banned. But it should only be given out when the kid can't finish the assignment in class. Teachers should not give out extra work that you have to take home and do. especially on weekends, those are the only two days that kids get off and most of us work on the weekends.

• Yeah, i agree with you a little, I feel tht that is a good improvment that just banning homework right away. I also think that the weekend is all kids have and if they have to work on the weekend than they will not have anytime to finish there homework

• home work  is some thing that he made as a punIshment system sure but xthey often learned without learning the often didnt slackoff or disobey.afterthe industrial revolution the kids were often put to school and were given a simplifyed version of the schoolwo`rk today. focused on memorization and destroying creativity.

• I think homework shouldnt be banned, but there should be less handed out. Homework shouldnt be an everynight kinda thing I think it should be an option if a student is failling or just wants extra credit. I dont think it should be required. I know of schools who dont count homework as grades and only grade tests and quizes and such. I think thats how it should be for everyone. 

• I agree, I think that banning homework would be a lot right away, and if you just give out less then it would be good for the students and it would work for the teachers too. I also think that homework should just be extra credit so if the students want to then they can.

• I do not think homework should be banned, I think this because it allows students to practice their work out of school and gain proficiency. this would allow confidence in doing the work in your every day life

• I agree I think that people need to to there activitys in there everyday life and not just work on school homework. I have a friend who is almost only working on homework and has no time to do any of the stuff he wants to do, and he get annoyed with that.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker