Should High School Athletes be Drug Tested?

Did you know, nationally 38% of schools drug test their students who are participating in sports. There are many people who would like to see high school athletes tested for performance enhancing drugs and other drugs. There are both pros and cons of athletes being randomly drug tested. I will present pros and cons on both sides of the debate.

The people that are in favor of drug testing make several arguments. First of all, many people believe that drug testing athletes would make it more likely for the games to be fair. A study showed that 16% of the students who knew they were going to be tested admitted to doing illegal drugs 30 days before. However, in schools that didn’t have drug testing 22% of athletes admitted to having taken drugs in the last 30 days.  This is showing that it might make an effect on the athletes and urge them to stay away from drugs if they know they might have a random drug test, and potentially get caught. 

On the other hand, many people believe drug testing these high school athletes is a bad idea. Some reasons would be; it might not feel fair for them because they might feel like they are being singled out. Many people could make the argument that it wouldn't be fair if only athletes get drug tested, not members of other extra curricular activities. Athletes may also argue that it violates their right of privacy.

I think that both sides have good points and both make good arguments. I personally think randomly drug testing athletes should become more often done. I feel like this because it would cause the athletes to stay away from illegal drugs and all together make sure the game is, for the most part, fair. I also only think these tests should be done once every month or two, unless a player is showing signs of drug use. 

Do you think highschool athletes should be drug tested? 

Do you think this would violate athletes' right of privacy?

If we test athletes, should we test club members, band members, etc?

Sources:

https://classroom.synonym.com/pros-cons-drug-testing-schools-5082648.html

https://onlinemasters.ohio.edu/blog/high-school-athletics-and-drug-testing/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice! I did not know it was that high as far as how many high school athletes are tested. Interesting! Anyway, your summary is good but be surew to continue replying.

• I do think that highschool athletes should be drug tested because they could have drugs in their system that gives them a unfair advantage. I think it might violate athletes right of privacy because some might not feel comfortable with being tested for drugs. 

• I think that high school athletes should have to be drug tested because it could be giving them a competitive advantage. I don't believe it would violate athletes' right of privacy because there should be rules to prevent PEDs.

• I think that high school athletes should be drug tested. I think this because sometimes it may give them more of an advantage in their sport. Yet I do understand how most athletes would be agaisnt this because they may call it unreasonable, but it's just an extra step to make sure the playing field is even and fair. 

• I personally think that high school athletes should have to be drug tested. My reasoning for this because it's very easy for teenagers in today's world to get their hands on stuff. But I think that the drug testing performed should be random so athletes don't know when it'll happen.

• I think high school athletes should be drug tested incase the drug is making them preform better. It could make the game more fair and make sure kids aren't getting into anything super bad. I think it is invading their privacy a little bit but if it effecting the game then coaches should step up.

• Yes, I think high school athletes should tested because you never know what kids can get their hands on in today's world. I do think it is invading privacy to a point but coaches should set rules or expectations that part of playing for them requires random drug tests to make sure they are doing stuff the right way.

• I think they should be drug tested because if they are taking something to make them better. If they are smoking weed or something then I suppose it's violating their privavcy. It's not really anyones business what they do in their free time. If if effects the way they play then that's on them. 

• I dont think that highschool athaletes should be drug tested. This would be a violation of their privacy and I feel as though they sould have to sign a waiver or some type of papers for them to be able to do so. If we tested highschoolers then club teams should be tested also. 

• I don't think that many highschool athletes take PEDs.  I think that It would be okay to drug test these athletes.  I don't think they'd find very many positive tests.  I don't think that this is violating the athlete's right of privacy.  I think that sometimes these athletes need help to stay on the right track.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker