Should High School Athletes be Drug Tested?

Did you know, nationally 38% of schools drug test their students who are participating in sports. There are many people who would like to see high school athletes tested for performance enhancing drugs and other drugs. There are both pros and cons of athletes being randomly drug tested. I will present pros and cons on both sides of the debate.

The people that are in favor of drug testing make several arguments. First of all, many people believe that drug testing athletes would make it more likely for the games to be fair. A study showed that 16% of the students who knew they were going to be tested admitted to doing illegal drugs 30 days before. However, in schools that didn’t have drug testing 22% of athletes admitted to having taken drugs in the last 30 days.  This is showing that it might make an effect on the athletes and urge them to stay away from drugs if they know they might have a random drug test, and potentially get caught. 

On the other hand, many people believe drug testing these high school athletes is a bad idea. Some reasons would be; it might not feel fair for them because they might feel like they are being singled out. Many people could make the argument that it wouldn't be fair if only athletes get drug tested, not members of other extra curricular activities. Athletes may also argue that it violates their right of privacy.

I think that both sides have good points and both make good arguments. I personally think randomly drug testing athletes should become more often done. I feel like this because it would cause the athletes to stay away from illegal drugs and all together make sure the game is, for the most part, fair. I also only think these tests should be done once every month or two, unless a player is showing signs of drug use. 

Do you think highschool athletes should be drug tested? 

Do you think this would violate athletes' right of privacy?

If we test athletes, should we test club members, band members, etc?

Sources:

https://classroom.synonym.com/pros-cons-drug-testing-schools-5082648.html

https://onlinemasters.ohio.edu/blog/high-school-athletics-and-drug-testing/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Personally I don't think that we should drug test high shcool athletes becasue if you do then you would have to drug test the rest of the other groups like band chorus, ect. but like you said I think that both sides have there ups and downs but I think that its not really a big deal if we do or not.

• I get what you're saying. I agree with you. I think to make it fair, if we were to drug test athletes, we might have to drug test people in other groups too. On the other hand, band members might not be able to take drugs that enhance their performance.

• I don't think they should be drug tested, but I don't think it's a bad thing either. It would cause more time spent taking and testing the drug tests that the team could be using to practice. It kind of violates their right of privacy too. Athletes should be the only ones being tested. It doesn't make sense to drug test anyone else. 

• I personally don't think high school athletes should be drug tested. I think that if they have commited a crime or been caught wiht drugs then they can be tested. I don't see the need for them to be tested and I see it as a way of getting too far into their business a little bit.

• I don't think all highschool athlete should be drug tested. I think if the coaches think you might be doing drugs then I think they should be able to drug test you.  I don't think it would violate athletes right of privacy. I don't think band member should be drug tested because band not as important as sports.

• I dont think all athletes need to be drug tested, if they have commited a crime or have been caught doing drugs then they should be tested but only like once a week. I dont see a reason for everyone to get tested and get  in everyones business.

• I agree. I think they should be tested if they get caught with drugs or are suspected to be taking drugs. That way it will only be a consequence for their actions. 

• I personally don't think high school athletes should be drug tested. I think that if they have commited a crime or been caught wiht drugs then they can be tested. I don't see the need for them to be tested and I see it as a way of getting too far into their business a little bit.

• Athletes could be drug tested only if they have commited a crime that could be a cause for drug testing. Suspecting that a person is using drugs does not always give you 100% of the truth. Random drug tests are partially a violation of privacy. Of course it will violate some sort of privacy, but by doing this, it does not give people time nto stop nusing the drug and getting it out of their system.

• I think that highschool athletes should not be tested because if they are playing good then dont bother them or what they do. I think that it would violate their rights and they would get in big trouble with the school and law. If you did test athletes you should be required to test club members and band members.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker