Should Halloween be permanently moved to Saturday?

Something that is commonly asked and an idea that is frequently mentioned, is the idea of changing the date of Halloween to the permanent Saturday. There are several different opinions on this idea and many pros and cons are both argued. Some people think that it is safer for children to go trick-or-treating on a Saturday because according to procon.com there was “A study found an 83% increase in fatal crashes involving children and a 55% increase in pedestrian fatal crashes when Halloween falls on a weeknight.” Contrary to this study, others just personally believe that there are always more people on the streets driving in the dark and potentially driving under the influence. 

Another pro that is argued is the fact that this creates less stress on parents because it isn't a school night and overall makes Halloween more enjoyable. This is because you don’t have to stress about getting home and done with all your celebrations in enough time to sleep well for the next day at school. With it being on a weekend and not having to worry about school, this causes better academic performance for that week. If kids are more worried about their plans and games, then we may lose the attention of many students.  

Like it is stated above, it overall gives students and people more time in general. But, with more time sometimes leads to more time for kids to get in trouble or find themselves in dangerous situations. The last argument that I will mention is the fact that it just changes history and the original meaning. Some believe it's not worth changing history for. 

Overall I really don’t celebrate Halloween but if I did, I know I would want it to be on Saturday just for school reasons. I do not think that changing it to the permanent Saturday would mess up history and origins that much and I think it will have more of a positive impact then it would negative. I think the idea isn’t out of the ordinary and I could see in the future parents pushing for the change.

https://www.procon.org/headlines/saturday-halloween-top-3-pros-and-cons/ 

Do you think we should change haloween to a saturday?

Would it mess up history if it was changed?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think it should be on a saturday because people like to have freinds over and stay up later. Also alot of people would go out and have fun. They also like to go to partys and stay out past curfew. Some just want to hang out with their freinds.

• I agree that it would make a lot more people participate. 

• I think that halloween should be on saturday because it's not on a school night and they have more time to get candy. But also there would be those people that would ruin it for everyone because they would stay out passed curfew. 

• I agree but those people couldn't ruin it for everyone, they would be the ones to get in trouble, not us.

• I think that halloween should be moved to a Saturday. If it was on a Saturday people could celebrate for as long as they want to and not have to worry about getting up early for school the next day. Moving halloween to a saturday would make the evening a lot less stressful. 

• I agree it would make it a lot less stressful.

• I can see why halloween should be moved to a Saturday because it might be safer for the children and less stressful. However, I think it should stay at October 31st because it has always been on this day and there is a lot of tradition and history linked to this day. 

• We can keep halloween on the same day, just change the trick or treating day. that would not mess up history. Also things change history all the time so it wouldnt matter that much.

• I think moving Halloween to Saturday would be very nice. That way it wouldnt be on a school day and you wouldnt have to wake up early the next day. It is during the weekend so we wouldnt have to call off school, or go to school. It would be more convienent on the weekend.

• I agree it would be more convienent for it to be over the weekend.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker