Should Halloween be permanently moved to Saturday?

Something that is commonly asked and an idea that is frequently mentioned, is the idea of changing the date of Halloween to the permanent Saturday. There are several different opinions on this idea and many pros and cons are both argued. Some people think that it is safer for children to go trick-or-treating on a Saturday because according to procon.com there was “A study found an 83% increase in fatal crashes involving children and a 55% increase in pedestrian fatal crashes when Halloween falls on a weeknight.” Contrary to this study, others just personally believe that there are always more people on the streets driving in the dark and potentially driving under the influence. 

Another pro that is argued is the fact that this creates less stress on parents because it isn't a school night and overall makes Halloween more enjoyable. This is because you don’t have to stress about getting home and done with all your celebrations in enough time to sleep well for the next day at school. With it being on a weekend and not having to worry about school, this causes better academic performance for that week. If kids are more worried about their plans and games, then we may lose the attention of many students.  

Like it is stated above, it overall gives students and people more time in general. But, with more time sometimes leads to more time for kids to get in trouble or find themselves in dangerous situations. The last argument that I will mention is the fact that it just changes history and the original meaning. Some believe it's not worth changing history for. 

Overall I really don’t celebrate Halloween but if I did, I know I would want it to be on Saturday just for school reasons. I do not think that changing it to the permanent Saturday would mess up history and origins that much and I think it will have more of a positive impact then it would negative. I think the idea isn’t out of the ordinary and I could see in the future parents pushing for the change.

https://www.procon.org/headlines/saturday-halloween-top-3-pros-and-cons/ 

Do you think we should change haloween to a saturday?

Would it mess up history if it was changed?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that halloween should be moved to a saturday because that gives people more time to get ready, there aren't kids staying up late on a school night and more people are more likely to be up handing out candy for kids.

• I agree it would help the kids not have to be up late on a school night.

• I think that moving halloween to a saturday would be more convinient for everyone. It would make it easier for people to throw halloween parties or to stay up late after trick or treating. I would rather have it be on a saturday or a day off. It would allow me to stay up late and watch scary movies with friends.

• Yes, I agree that it would allow you to stay up later with friends.

• I personally think that Halloween should not be moved to a saturday. If we move it to a saturday then we would have to set dates for all holidays. Every year the holiday shifts to a different day of the week. If we really want halloween on a saturday then halloween will only fall on saturday every six years.

• I dissagree with you, and im not sure what you are trying to say by it will only fall on saturday every 6 years? But if we changed this one, we would not have to change them all, it doesnt work like that.

• I think that Halloween being on a Saturday would definetly be more reasonable for trick-or-treating, and halloween parties. I think that this would lower stress, and increase some much needed sleep over the holiday. Although I do think it should be moved, I don't really think that enough people view this as a problem, so I don't really think that it will be changed- at least not any time soon.

• I agree it would be very reasonable for trick or treating.

• I personally don't celebrate Halloween by trick or treating but it is still a fun time of the month. I don't think that Halloween should be changed just because it is a school night. Most people start trick or treating around 5 pm and usually stop by 8 pm. So they have plenty of time to get homework done, get candy, and have fun. I also think it would confuse a lot of people due to it being on the same night for many many years.

• I see why you would think that, but overall it would be better on saturdays.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker