Should Halloween be a Federal Holiday?

Halloween, unlike many other holidays, is not a Federal Holiday. Halloween’s culture has changed over the years. Now it is all about costumes, candy, and trick or treating. Back then Halloween was about celebrating the end of summer and the beginning of harvest. People would light bonfires and dress in combines to “scare off ghosts.” Over the years Halloween has changed tremendously. 

Some people say that Halloween should be a federal holiday. They think it is just as important as other holidays and government run businesses should get the day off. The days before Halloween are just following the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas in terms of how much people are buying and all of the money going into the economy. Because of this, people think that Halloween should be a day off.

Others would say that there is no real point of having Halloween be a federal holiday. Trick or treating is at night and there isn’t a reason to prepare all day long. Some people think that Halloween doesn’t have that great of a meaning so it shouldn’t be considered a federal holiday. I think I would agree to that, Halloween is a holiday that isn’t as important as others like Christmas. I don’t think people need the whole day off, especially when the main part of the holiday happens at night.

Do you think Halloween should be a federal holiday?

If so, why?

https://nsucurrent.nova.edu/2016/10/25/why-halloween-should-be-a-federal-holiday/

https://www.manoanow.org/kaleo/special_issue_halloween/why-halloween-should-be-a-federal-holiday/article_477c0862-9ae0-11e6-8b73-abf7033eb07f.html 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, it isn't like other holidays when you spend all day doing stuff, people don't trick or treat till night.

• Although it would be nice to have no school on or after halloween. It could result in many problems. For example, high school students would be able to stay up longer because there is no school. Meaning, there could be many "crimes" or "suspicious" acts on halloween night which could be very dangerous. 

• I agree, it could cause more problems and we don't need the whole day off.

• I think Halloween should be a federal holiday most kids would want it so there would be no school or work that day but a lot of kids go trick or treating and I do not think that is the best idea for most kids because they eat all the junk food before school and may be sick the next day.

• I don't think Halloween should be a federal holiday. If you take an entire day to prepare for Halloween you should prepare on the weekend when you have the chance and the time. Halloween is usually at night anyways so most jobs end at 5 or 7 and that is enough time trick or treat.

• I think that halloween should not be a federal holiday. Yes, the holiday is fun and all, but there is no reason to have the day off. The celebration is at night rather than in the morning or mid day. I mean it would be nice to have the day off, but it is not necessary. 

• I agree, it would be a fun day off, but it isn't necessary.

• I do not think that Halloween should be a federal holiday... Halloween is celebrated at night, not in the moring. There would be no reason of cause that we need to consider Halloween a fedreal holiday on our calanders. I am sure that adults would like to have the day off as so would the kids but it just is not worth it.

• I agree, when you celebrate it, it is during the night and not during the day.

• I think it should because its just another fun day and I think its another holiday like Christmas. Kids like to have fun on halloweeen and i think they should have the day to make their costumes and carve pumkins and do fun things like that.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker