Should Farm Equipment be Allowed on Highways

This time of year there are several pieces of farm equipment traveling from farm to farm on highways. This is necessary for farmers to get their equipment where they need it, but some people claim that farm equipment should not be allowed on highways. 

There are several reasons that highways are essential for farmers to move their equipment on. Highways are crucial for some farmers to move their equipment because some fields are only accessible by highway. It is also difficult for farmers to move their equipment through small areas, and the highway offers a large, and visible area to move the machine along. It can also be dangerous for farmers to move their equipment on gravel due to bad road conditions and little space for other drivers to get by. 

On the contrary, some people claim that farm equipment should not be able to travel on highways. Some believe the equipment travels too slowly compared to the average speed of other vehicles. However, all vehicles traveling below thirty five miles per hour are required to have the reflective, slow moving vehicle sign, and flashing lights visible on the equipment. 

I believe, as long as the farmer is following those laws, it is reasonable for other vehicles to safely slow down, and wait for a good time to carefully pass the machine.

I believe that farm equipment should be able to travel on highways, if their equipment meets the laws. It is vital for farmers to be able to use highways to get to their farms. It is safe for farm equipment to travel on highways if other drivers are cautious of the equipment, and farmers are aware of the machine's size and speed. All in all, both the drivers of the equipment, and drivers of other vehicles, should be safe, aware, and follow the law.

Do you think farm equipment should be allowed on highways, explain?

Have you ever driven farm equipment on a highway?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have persoally never driven farm equipment in my entire life. But I think that they should be allowed to be on the highways. If you get stuck behind a tractor or somthing on the road its not that big of a deal. You might be a little late, but there is no reason to kick them off the highways for that. They can be dangerous but any car or motorized thing can also be dangerous.

• I agree, many other motor vehicles cause several crashes and can be dangerous just like farm equipment. So there is no reason to illegalize farm equipment on highways because it is dangerous.

• I think that farm equipment should be allowed on the Highways beacasue travling on the highway is the best way to transport equipment over long distances.

• I personally do think that farm equipment should be allowed on highways. I understand why people would disagree; it can slow down traffic considerably, and in some cases can be dangerous. But, I think that it is still the best option for people to transport their equipment. 

• I agree, farm equipment traveling on the highways can definitely be dangerous. This can be because of the size, speed, and more. However, it becomes more safe when the tractor has all the legal requirments, and both drivers are driving safely.

• I think that farm eqipment should be alowed on highways because of the fact that it is much faster and efficient to use them then to go thru hilly gravel or dirt roads. Nowadays some of the equipment and machines are very big, and not being able to use highways would suck. Even though it might slow people down on highways, its much more benificial to do so. I accually have driven tracters on highways, but not very so often.

• I think that farm equipment should be allowed on the highways. I understand people need to get somewhere and they might be late but if the farmers can't get to where they need to go and they have to go on the highway to get to a field then they won't be able to harvest and we won't have corn for food. I have and sometimes people would act like idiots and they would either honk at me or they would throw their hands up when they go on by.

• Yes, farm equipment should definitely be allowed on highways. I understand people are busy but they need to understand that farmers have to use them to get to fields and what not. I have driven farm equipment on highways many times and it is very frustrating when people try and pass or are on my tale and almost cause head on collisions. Farmers have jobs too and people need to be patient sometimes.

• I also get frustrated when people are driving wrecklessly around me when I am driving equipment down the highway. I also agree that farmers are just trying to do there job, and it doesn't hurt to be patient sometimes.

• I would have to say that farm equipment is more then welcome to be able to be on the highways. For example if you have to change fields you want to take the shortest route that you can. If you only take rock and dirt roads you could have to drive for twice as long as you really need to. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker