Should Farm Equipment be Allowed on Highways

This time of year there are several pieces of farm equipment traveling from farm to farm on highways. This is necessary for farmers to get their equipment where they need it, but some people claim that farm equipment should not be allowed on highways. 

There are several reasons that highways are essential for farmers to move their equipment on. Highways are crucial for some farmers to move their equipment because some fields are only accessible by highway. It is also difficult for farmers to move their equipment through small areas, and the highway offers a large, and visible area to move the machine along. It can also be dangerous for farmers to move their equipment on gravel due to bad road conditions and little space for other drivers to get by. 

On the contrary, some people claim that farm equipment should not be able to travel on highways. Some believe the equipment travels too slowly compared to the average speed of other vehicles. However, all vehicles traveling below thirty five miles per hour are required to have the reflective, slow moving vehicle sign, and flashing lights visible on the equipment. 

I believe, as long as the farmer is following those laws, it is reasonable for other vehicles to safely slow down, and wait for a good time to carefully pass the machine.

I believe that farm equipment should be able to travel on highways, if their equipment meets the laws. It is vital for farmers to be able to use highways to get to their farms. It is safe for farm equipment to travel on highways if other drivers are cautious of the equipment, and farmers are aware of the machine's size and speed. All in all, both the drivers of the equipment, and drivers of other vehicles, should be safe, aware, and follow the law.

Do you think farm equipment should be allowed on highways, explain?

Have you ever driven farm equipment on a highway?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• It definitely takes longer to take country roads, ecspecially if you are taking a detour just to avoid the highways. Not only are country roads not in as good as condition as highways, they often have more hills and curves, which also takes longer.

• In my opinion farm equipment should be allowed to drive in the highways as long as the driver is following the laws and beign aware of the size of the vehicle they are driving. I haven't been the driver of the equipment in the highway but I have been as a passenger inside the vehicle when it was in the highway.

• I personally belive farm equipment should be allowed on highways because the gravel roads dont alwyas lead to the field you want to go to. I also think that if your stuck behind a tractor or somthing you can just pass it dont be antsy. Have i driven farm equipment on the highway yes i have my not have been far but i have and i had no problems driving on the highway.

• I have driven various machinery down the highway. There is no doubt that farm equipment should be allowed on the highways. Hardly ever it seems the tractors or operators are the problem. It seems that everybody is in a hurry and has no patience. People don't understand that farmers just can't speed up or move over. Everybody says that tractors suck and they are the reason for the recent accident in this community. That is called operator error, nobody in their right mind takes and auger and tractor down the road at dark.

• Most accidents are caused by other drivers not being safe when approaching or passing equipment. However, operators error also plays a role in farm equipment related accidents. But operators error also happens in regular accidents involving cars. 

• Yes I think farm equipment should be aloud to be able to drive on the highways because how are farmer going to get to there felids.  But farmer make people mad becuase some of them don't know how to drive right on the road because look what happen to the motorcyle and the tractor accident.

• I think that farm equipment should be allowed on highways. I think this becuase it already takes farmers long enough to get to their field and back to their grain bins. If they can't go on the highways then it would take even longer. Personally I have and realized that people need to be more patient. 

• I agree, there is a lot of driving time sometimes when farming. If the equipment can't get to the grain storage in a good manner of time, then the combine has to wait, causing it to take even longer to harvest the crop.

• I think that farm equipment should be allowed on highways due to some fields cannot be accessed without going on the highway.  If a farmer only has one way to access his/her field you better believe that one way is defiently gonna be used.

• I think they should be allowed to because some way to feilds highways are the only road, and i think as long as they are careful driving on the highway they should be able to and as long as they are smart while driving and not in the middle of the road.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker