Should Farm Equipment be Allowed on Highways

This time of year there are several pieces of farm equipment traveling from farm to farm on highways. This is necessary for farmers to get their equipment where they need it, but some people claim that farm equipment should not be allowed on highways. 

There are several reasons that highways are essential for farmers to move their equipment on. Highways are crucial for some farmers to move their equipment because some fields are only accessible by highway. It is also difficult for farmers to move their equipment through small areas, and the highway offers a large, and visible area to move the machine along. It can also be dangerous for farmers to move their equipment on gravel due to bad road conditions and little space for other drivers to get by. 

On the contrary, some people claim that farm equipment should not be able to travel on highways. Some believe the equipment travels too slowly compared to the average speed of other vehicles. However, all vehicles traveling below thirty five miles per hour are required to have the reflective, slow moving vehicle sign, and flashing lights visible on the equipment. 

I believe, as long as the farmer is following those laws, it is reasonable for other vehicles to safely slow down, and wait for a good time to carefully pass the machine.

I believe that farm equipment should be able to travel on highways, if their equipment meets the laws. It is vital for farmers to be able to use highways to get to their farms. It is safe for farm equipment to travel on highways if other drivers are cautious of the equipment, and farmers are aware of the machine's size and speed. All in all, both the drivers of the equipment, and drivers of other vehicles, should be safe, aware, and follow the law.

Do you think farm equipment should be allowed on highways, explain?

Have you ever driven farm equipment on a highway?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think farm equipment should be allowed on highways, I understand that they are slower than a usual vehicles but need to travel as well. I think it would be unfair to not let them go on highways. I feel like it would be impractical to not allow them to drive on the highways.  

• I think that farm equipment should be allowed on highways because they need to get their equipment to their fields. It would be way too difficult for them to move it on other ways and it would also take them more time. Of course, all the vehicles must follow the law. 

• I definetly think that farm equipment should be allowed on the highways, because it is far too unrealistic for them to not be able to use highways. It would take much longer for farmers to get from field to field to have to use gravel and dirt roads. Although it can be annoying having to drive slower on the highway behind them, I know that it would be almost impossible for farmers to not be able to use highways. 

•  I do think that farm equipment should be allowed on the highways. This is one of the fastest ways of travel from farm to farm. I have driven on the highways with farm equipment and some people just dont have any brains when they are trying to pass a tractor.

• I agree, some people are not very smart when passing farm equipment. Those people need to learn to be pacient, and wait for a safe time to pass the machine.

• I think farm equipment should be able to travel on highways. Although the equipment may slow down other vehicles, it is more beneficial for farmers to travel on the highway. Most people know this time of year is harvest. 

• I think farm equipment should be allowed on highways because sometimes that the only way to get to your destination. It would also be much faster to travel from place to place.  I also think why most of these accident happen is because unpatient people. I haven't driven farm equipment on highways but I have ride with people in farm equipment.

• Yes, they should be. I drove a tractor and wagon all harvest season and thankfully never had any close calls or anything. But some people weren't to smart with it. They would pass me in the ditch or drive way to fast by me. So some people were really dangerous with it. But there was a lot of people who were smart with it and stayed behind me. But yes, they should be legal. 

• I have also never had a close call when driving equipment on the road, but I definetly have had people dangerously pass me. I definitely appreciate the drivers who wait for a safe time to pass, and are cautious of farm equipment.

• I think that farm equipment should be able to travel on the highways.  It is so much faster to get place to place by traveling on highways rather than taking the backroads.  People can wait a little longer to get to where they're going.  Farmers are trying their best to get where they are going. Just be patient.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker