Should Farm Equipment be Allowed on Highways

This time of year there are several pieces of farm equipment traveling from farm to farm on highways. This is necessary for farmers to get their equipment where they need it, but some people claim that farm equipment should not be allowed on highways. 

There are several reasons that highways are essential for farmers to move their equipment on. Highways are crucial for some farmers to move their equipment because some fields are only accessible by highway. It is also difficult for farmers to move their equipment through small areas, and the highway offers a large, and visible area to move the machine along. It can also be dangerous for farmers to move their equipment on gravel due to bad road conditions and little space for other drivers to get by. 

On the contrary, some people claim that farm equipment should not be able to travel on highways. Some believe the equipment travels too slowly compared to the average speed of other vehicles. However, all vehicles traveling below thirty five miles per hour are required to have the reflective, slow moving vehicle sign, and flashing lights visible on the equipment. 

I believe, as long as the farmer is following those laws, it is reasonable for other vehicles to safely slow down, and wait for a good time to carefully pass the machine.

I believe that farm equipment should be able to travel on highways, if their equipment meets the laws. It is vital for farmers to be able to use highways to get to their farms. It is safe for farm equipment to travel on highways if other drivers are cautious of the equipment, and farmers are aware of the machine's size and speed. All in all, both the drivers of the equipment, and drivers of other vehicles, should be safe, aware, and follow the law.

Do you think farm equipment should be allowed on highways, explain?

Have you ever driven farm equipment on a highway?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, it is much more efficient for farmers to travel on the highway to get from farm to farm. Farmers are just trying to get where they need to be, and get out of your way.

• n my opinion, I think farm equipment should be allowed on the highways. It is safer for the farmers to get to their fields. As long as they follow the laws I think they should be able to.  And it's not the famers fault your terrible at managing your time. It's literally common sense to leave 15 mins earlier just in case you get stuck behind farm equipment

• I agree, not many people usually leave enough time for the chances of getting stuck behind equpiment, and sometimes I can be guilty of this. However, ecspecially this time of year, I like to leave a little earlier than usual just in case I get stuck behind equipment.

• I think that it should be allowed but once it starts to get dark it should be a law that you aren't allowed to travel on highways with farm equipment like using a tractor to travel, because earlier this year it was about 8 or 9 and a guy on a motorcycle was killed all because he couldn't see the tractor pulling out.

• I understand you point of farm equipment not being allowed on roads after dark. However, I have heard some farmers say the like moving farm equipment at night better because then drivers can see the flashing lights better. I am not sure if the tractor outside of harlan had flashing lights or not.

• I think that farm equipement should be allowed on the road, but only if everything is working right and they stay inside their lane and dont cross the center lane. I think that if you complain that passing or stayihng behind them is time consuming them you should leave earlier or take different roads. 

•  I think that farm vehicles should be aloud to drive on the highway, It is saver then driving on small level c minimum maintenance roads and as long as they are following the rules such as the flashing lights and or the signs on the back they are saver then people who speed around them and go 100mph down the roads. 

• In my opinion, I think farm equipment should be allowed on the highways. It is safer for the farmers to get to their fields. As long as they follow the laws I think they should be able to. If you think they are too slow and you are going to be late where ever you are going you should simply give yourself extra time to get to work. I always make sure I'm at work about 10 minutes before my shift is supposed to start. 

• Farm equipment should be allowed on highways because that is the only way farmers can get thier equipment to other farms/locations. Other drivers need to be pacient when it comes to following slow moving farm machinery. 

• I also think that some drivers need to have patience when approaching farm equipment. Drivers should stay calm and wait for a safe time to pass the machine, rather than speeding around them really fast. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker