Should Farm Equipment be Allowed on Highways

This time of year there are several pieces of farm equipment traveling from farm to farm on highways. This is necessary for farmers to get their equipment where they need it, but some people claim that farm equipment should not be allowed on highways. 

There are several reasons that highways are essential for farmers to move their equipment on. Highways are crucial for some farmers to move their equipment because some fields are only accessible by highway. It is also difficult for farmers to move their equipment through small areas, and the highway offers a large, and visible area to move the machine along. It can also be dangerous for farmers to move their equipment on gravel due to bad road conditions and little space for other drivers to get by. 

On the contrary, some people claim that farm equipment should not be able to travel on highways. Some believe the equipment travels too slowly compared to the average speed of other vehicles. However, all vehicles traveling below thirty five miles per hour are required to have the reflective, slow moving vehicle sign, and flashing lights visible on the equipment. 

I believe, as long as the farmer is following those laws, it is reasonable for other vehicles to safely slow down, and wait for a good time to carefully pass the machine.

I believe that farm equipment should be able to travel on highways, if their equipment meets the laws. It is vital for farmers to be able to use highways to get to their farms. It is safe for farm equipment to travel on highways if other drivers are cautious of the equipment, and farmers are aware of the machine's size and speed. All in all, both the drivers of the equipment, and drivers of other vehicles, should be safe, aware, and follow the law.

Do you think farm equipment should be allowed on highways, explain?

Have you ever driven farm equipment on a highway?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I also see no problem with farm equipment traveling on highways as long as the operator smart while driving the machine. The operator should allow space for other cars to comfortbly and safely pass. 

• Yes I think that they should be allowed on highways. How else would they get to where they need to go if they have to go far. Sure back roads but back roads are more dangerous than just going around the tractor. The tractors on back roads take up the whole road I about got pushed into a ditch the other day because he didn't see me. 

• I agree, farm equipment on backroads can sometimes be more dangerous than on the highway. This is because the road is to narrow and sometimes doesn't allow enough room when two vehicles are passing eachother in opposite directions.

• I think they should because it would be very hard to get places, it is very dangerous but its easier for them to get to places and the job done easier and faster. if they werent allowed on the highway it would be very difficult for them to get to places.

• I think that farm equipment should be allowed on highways because it may be the only way to get to the other field. If farmers were not allowed driving there equipment on the highway then there would be many complains to the gonverment about that.

• Personally coming from a farm worker, highways are the most usefull roadway for equipment. Yes some people do not agree with the fact we are allowed on the highway does not matter beacuse it gets us from point A to point B much quicker. We are on our way to work and so are you so as long as we dont take up to much of a lane and have out hazards on we should be fine from oncoming traffic.

• I agree, when moving farm equipment we are on our way to work just as much as any other driver on the road. Farmers are just trying to get from point A to point B, and then get out of your way.

• In my personal opinion, I believe that farm equipment should be able to drive on highways because farmers could need to use it. If they have a sign that warns cars that it is a slow moving vehicle and is safe, they should be able to use the highways. Personally, I have no experience driving farm equipment, so I haven't driven them on highways.

• I think they should be aloud as long as they aren't causing any danger or harm. If they are going too slow it could cause horrible accidents. I have never driven any farm equipment on a highway, but it looks easy. 

• I think that  Farm Equipment should be allowed to be on the road and others should respect them. They are doing their job and to help provide for the states. About 48.4% of farmers feed the country. It is important to thank and be thankful for their work.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker