Should Farm Equipment be Allowed on Highways

This time of year there are several pieces of farm equipment traveling from farm to farm on highways. This is necessary for farmers to get their equipment where they need it, but some people claim that farm equipment should not be allowed on highways. 

There are several reasons that highways are essential for farmers to move their equipment on. Highways are crucial for some farmers to move their equipment because some fields are only accessible by highway. It is also difficult for farmers to move their equipment through small areas, and the highway offers a large, and visible area to move the machine along. It can also be dangerous for farmers to move their equipment on gravel due to bad road conditions and little space for other drivers to get by. 

On the contrary, some people claim that farm equipment should not be able to travel on highways. Some believe the equipment travels too slowly compared to the average speed of other vehicles. However, all vehicles traveling below thirty five miles per hour are required to have the reflective, slow moving vehicle sign, and flashing lights visible on the equipment. 

I believe, as long as the farmer is following those laws, it is reasonable for other vehicles to safely slow down, and wait for a good time to carefully pass the machine.

I believe that farm equipment should be able to travel on highways, if their equipment meets the laws. It is vital for farmers to be able to use highways to get to their farms. It is safe for farm equipment to travel on highways if other drivers are cautious of the equipment, and farmers are aware of the machine's size and speed. All in all, both the drivers of the equipment, and drivers of other vehicles, should be safe, aware, and follow the law.

Do you think farm equipment should be allowed on highways, explain?

Have you ever driven farm equipment on a highway?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes, I think you should be able to drive on hishways because they are just doing there job. If they need to get somewhere they need to be let them be there. Yes I know we all get frusterated when we are behind them because they are slow and too wide to see if any car is coming in most cases but, we still survive. let them do ther job. Yes I have drivin a smaller tractor on the highway 

• It can definitely be frustrating getting stuck behind farm equipment, but like you said, the farmers are just trying to do their job. Farmers don't want to be in your way.

• I think farm equipment should be allowed on highways, because if they were not allowed, then how would they get to where they need to go? It only makes sense for farm equipment to be allowed on highways. 

• I believe they should be allowed on highways because it is faster for them but it is dangrous for other people. I also thing that you should be able to pass farm equipment on the solid lines unless your going up a hill because that is super dangrours and I have drove a farm equipment on the highway.

• I agree, it is much faster for farmers to use the highways when moving equipment, however it can be dangerous at times. If the tractors have all the legal requirements, and both drivers are being safe, it elimnates some of the dangers.

• I think farm equipment should be allowed on the high ways. Its safer for them to travel and could cause fewer deaths. People can simply pass them if there going to slow. As long as the farm equipment is meeting the laws I don't see a problem with it. 

• I don't think that farm equipment should be allowed on highways because there have been too many accidents involving farming equipment. If they are allowed on highways, there should be certain requirements. I have never driven any farm equipment. 

• Interesting point of view. However, if farm equipment can't travel on highways it will cause the supply of food to drop significantly. This is because the land will no longer be able to be farmed with no way to access it. Although sometimes the farm equipment causes the accidents, most crashes are caused by other drivers not driving safe and being cautious when approaching or passing the equipment.

• I believe that farm equipment should be allowed to be on highways. Just because of the reason it is the easiest way to get to many fields. Also I think that if the farm equipment is meeting all the laws for the road there should not be any problem with it. No I have not driven but I have been in one while on the highway.

• I feel like farm equipment should be allowed on highways. Even though it may feel annoying being stuck behind a big tractor, they are very nessasary for their job. I haven't drove farm equipment on a highway before, but my dad has. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker