Should core class be required?

Core subjects are important in high school, because they help you get a field in everything you need to know. Such as math, history, english, and other ones such as financing. But should they be required? Core subjects are required because they help improve student learning, and skill acquisition. They also help students reform strategy, and are related to learning strategies, they also help people get ready for college.

Personally I think that core subjects should surround someone's career choice. If they are going into mechanics, they should make their core topic more math related, and ag related, instead of English or a topic they typically won’t use on a day to day basis. Yes, people should take English, but they should take four years of math instead of English if they are going into a career like mechanics. Core subjects should surround a person’s career choice, and not what the state thinks is best for every student, because everyone is going to want to do different things after they graduate highschool.

Do you think they should make core subject’s surround a person’s career?

What are your thoughts on core subjects?

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.google.com/url?q%3Dhttps://www.edglossary.org/core-course-of-study/%2523:~:text%253DThe%252520basic%252520rationale%252520is%252520that,graduate%252520better%252520educated%252520and%252520prepared%26amp;sa%3DD%26amp;source%3Deditors%26amp;ust%3D1663041660411080%26amp;usg%3DAOvVaw3Tf33o6e0NIYHGzsc-4EbR&sa=D&source=docs&ust=1663041660414716&usg=AOvVaw3i_UUglDJuYwWNJwgvSgSh

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think a lot of highschool is revolved around the beginning of our young careers. Throughout highschool, we are choosing classes that we like that may lead us in our interests. However, core classes, such as math, history, and english, are required because they help us become well-rounded individuals for the future. At most schools, including ours, we get the option of picking electives and other classes as well as taking the required core classes. I think this is a good mix for all students as it is a gateway into career options, while also helping us become better learners and people. 

• I think that core subject classes should be required for everyone no matter what their future career will be. Core classes are very important and everyone should take at least 3 years of that subject in high school. Another benefit of taking core classes throughout highschool is that you will be more of a well-rounded student. 

• I think that core subjects should be required. A lot of student's don't know what career they want in high school so by taking all core classes, they're prepared for any career that they choose to do. This just makes students more well-rounded and gives them more options for the future.

• I agree that if you know what you want to do when you are older, that you should only have to take classes that are relavent to that occupation. I don't think everyone should have to take all the core classes if you know that your career has nothing to do with that class.

• I think that core subjects should be required. If you don't have core subjects required then you will not have any basic knowledge. We all think that some of the core classes are not necessary at times but if you let kids not have to take them then no one will come to school.

• I agree with you, attendance is an big issue. Without having classes your required to go to, it can drop our attendance rates more than they already are. 

• I think that core classes should be required, just because most people don't not yet know what they want to be. Maybe when students hit their junior year, I could see core classes not needing to be required, because several people have an idea of what they want to go into.  

• I agree with you, core classes are important. But once you have an idea of what your future career is, you should be able to pick and choose what classes you take. Including your core classes. 

• I personaly think core classes should be required. I think that because most people dont know what career area they are going into until the end of senior year. We aren't the same people we were 2 plus years ago, so if we make a decision now and change our minds later on in life we wont be able to get a different job. It is probbably the best choice to get as much education as we can and go into different areas once we hit college. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker