Should College be free?

Should College be free? 

College affordability is among the top connserns. When the cost of attending college universities, or trade schools is just too high. With the price increasing american students chose not to attend these schools. And leaves them unequipped to find good employment. And attending college leaves you with massive debt that leaves tamper with there abilities to attain at least a middle class lifestyle. 

Ther once was a time when you could attent college for free. The morrill act of 1862 so that higher education could be avaliable to americans. In 2019 the total amount of student debt in american was estimated to be around $1.6 trillion more than 20% higher just a few years before. 

But, Free college can be taken advantage of by joining the U.S Military. But also Military academies is highly competitive adn you also have to agree to attend the service for years after graduation. 

They say that job requirements are going up but families and students cannot afford to go to college and wouldnt be able to pay off the debt. If students could go to college for free then the american dream would be a thing. America need higher educated students. 

Traditional public schools are free to attend. That gets us a high school diploma for free and we'll have no debt on our hands. college should be free because of the higher demand of education in the U.S. 

In my opinion, I believe that college should be free, sudents get to go the high school for free to get a diploma but not a degree in college. Students should have the right to go to college for free. Students deserve the education they want. If college was free then students would be more likely to attend college for further education but they cant due to the cost and debt they will recieve for attending.

Do you think college should be free? why?

https://www.collegeraptor.com/find-colleges/articles/affordability-college-cost/why-should-college-be-free/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/19/learning/free-college.html

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/should-college-be-free-5218232

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• yeah that is true if college is free then the more wealthy people would have higher taxes and with inflation prices rising college is not affordable for many students 

• No, I dont think college should be free. Becuase, you have to think about the teachers teaching at colleges how are they going to get payed. I think that there could be atleast one college in each state that is free. But I dont get how a college like that would stay in buisness there would be no money coming in and no teachers would want to voluntarily work at one. 

• yes i see what your saying but high school students can go to school for free but teachers still get paid 

• I dont feel college should be free. I feel colleges should be affordable. As the prices have increased highly, which is causing alot of students to choose trade schools. As it is more affordable vs the cost of colleges.

• yes i agree with inflation causing prices of everything to increase many connot afford college 

• yes i do agree with you on that many students wanting to go to college cant afford it, if the price was decreased many students would have more of an opertunity

• I believe that college should not be free, they are having to higher professional teachers to be able to teach the right stuff for people to learn. For example if colleges are free kids would just go sit in class like highschool and be able to get free education and the town has to pay the teachers.

• I believe that the majority of college should be free. Because most jobs and industries require degrees of a certain level, achieveing those degrees shouldn't be impossible or it will eventually hurt those industries in the future due to lack of employees. However, while I do believe that the classes and other educational aspects of college should be free, the cost of living expenses and food should be what families and students are paying for. 

• I do not think college should be free but I do think it should be way cheaper. I feel people are getting extremely lazy and are finding out that they can get a job without a degree. With a degree comes tons of debt. Most people won't become a docter because it is to much money and to many schools. We need docters so I think if it was cheeper we would have more docters, nurses, etc. 

• I think that college should not be free, maybe lower it but not overall free. If students want to have a good job and education I do think they should have to work for it. I think it should be lower so more people can afford it but not free. This teaches kids good ways to save and manage their money. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker