Should College be free?

Should College be free? 

College affordability is among the top connserns. When the cost of attending college universities, or trade schools is just too high. With the price increasing american students chose not to attend these schools. And leaves them unequipped to find good employment. And attending college leaves you with massive debt that leaves tamper with there abilities to attain at least a middle class lifestyle. 

Ther once was a time when you could attent college for free. The morrill act of 1862 so that higher education could be avaliable to americans. In 2019 the total amount of student debt in american was estimated to be around $1.6 trillion more than 20% higher just a few years before. 

But, Free college can be taken advantage of by joining the U.S Military. But also Military academies is highly competitive adn you also have to agree to attend the service for years after graduation. 

They say that job requirements are going up but families and students cannot afford to go to college and wouldnt be able to pay off the debt. If students could go to college for free then the american dream would be a thing. America need higher educated students. 

Traditional public schools are free to attend. That gets us a high school diploma for free and we'll have no debt on our hands. college should be free because of the higher demand of education in the U.S. 

In my opinion, I believe that college should be free, sudents get to go the high school for free to get a diploma but not a degree in college. Students should have the right to go to college for free. Students deserve the education they want. If college was free then students would be more likely to attend college for further education but they cant due to the cost and debt they will recieve for attending.

Do you think college should be free? why?

https://www.collegeraptor.com/find-colleges/articles/affordability-college-cost/why-should-college-be-free/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/19/learning/free-college.html

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/should-college-be-free-5218232

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• yes I agree then students would have to chance to get into college many students cannot afford going to college today

• No, it should not be free, but in some cases depending on the college it should be more affordable, especially for people struggling a little financially. If you think about the professors teaching there, how would they get payed if the college is free. I think people will respect college and try harder knowing they paid a lot of money to be in it. 

• yea i agree with what your saying, with inflation if college was more affordable then many more students would have a chance at a degree  

• In my opinion, I think colleges should not be free. You should have to work for the degree you want. I believe the people will respect it better. I think you should earn it. If its free I think a lot of people will go to just waste time and have fun with friends. How will they pay their employers?

• yes I see what your saying but im sure if college was free they wouldnt let students mess around like we do here in high school. college is more of a profesional school where you need to take things seriously in order to get your degree.

• I think it depends on  the college and what your going for/majoring for some colleges are really nice and is most likely going to be worth the money when you finish however many years you go for but I personally think that paying for college is nessesary.

• what about lowering prices? now days with inflation prices are rising and many familys can barely aford to pay the bills. If they have at least a chance at going to college and living the american dream. If the cost of tuition and everything decresed then many more students would have that opertunity to go to college 

• No, I think that college should not be free. But they should put at a affordable price sho people can go. Because if college was free they will not make money and not pay there employees.

• yeah, your right on that but with inflation college is not an option for many families. many famlys can barely aford rent but if prices of ollege lowered then many more students would have an opertunity to live the american dream.

• I believe that financial aid would be a better alternative. People who are incredibly gifted but lack the fundings to get into a good school shouldn't have to be bumped down because they weren't able to afford the college tuition. Making college free however would possibly cause a lot of colleges to either go out of business or governments would have to focus more money into the college, meaning they take it out of something else.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker