Should College be free?

Should College be free? 

College affordability is among the top connserns. When the cost of attending college universities, or trade schools is just too high. With the price increasing american students chose not to attend these schools. And leaves them unequipped to find good employment. And attending college leaves you with massive debt that leaves tamper with there abilities to attain at least a middle class lifestyle. 

Ther once was a time when you could attent college for free. The morrill act of 1862 so that higher education could be avaliable to americans. In 2019 the total amount of student debt in american was estimated to be around $1.6 trillion more than 20% higher just a few years before. 

But, Free college can be taken advantage of by joining the U.S Military. But also Military academies is highly competitive adn you also have to agree to attend the service for years after graduation. 

They say that job requirements are going up but families and students cannot afford to go to college and wouldnt be able to pay off the debt. If students could go to college for free then the american dream would be a thing. America need higher educated students. 

Traditional public schools are free to attend. That gets us a high school diploma for free and we'll have no debt on our hands. college should be free because of the higher demand of education in the U.S. 

In my opinion, I believe that college should be free, sudents get to go the high school for free to get a diploma but not a degree in college. Students should have the right to go to college for free. Students deserve the education they want. If college was free then students would be more likely to attend college for further education but they cant due to the cost and debt they will recieve for attending.

Do you think college should be free? why?

https://www.collegeraptor.com/find-colleges/articles/affordability-college-cost/why-should-college-be-free/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/19/learning/free-college.html

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/should-college-be-free-5218232

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• This is a great topic and thank you for writing about it. I think college should not be as expensive as it is. But I think schools should have an entry fee if this idea happens soon and having the schools loaning books for cheaper.

• I do not think college should be free. If college became free, taxes would be raised significantly, causing people to pay for it in the long run anyways. If people want to go to college they should have to pay for it. It is an option they chose to pursue, so they should have to pay for it.

• College should not be free or partly paid for. If kids want to go learn about a certain subject or trade they can pay for it. Like if a farmer wants to buy a tractor or land they pay. Nothing should be free. If you want it, you have to work for it. If kids don't want to work for it, they have no reason to be in college.

• I do not think that college should be free. If college was free then people would just go to party and not learn anything. They would not be as comitted to their classes as they would if they were paying that tuition. I dont see a problem with the price of college going down but not free.

• I personally think that college shouldn't be free, but maybe a little cheaper. I think that the child should take responsibility and pay for their college, but college is absurdly expensive if you are going for a high degree. I think that it should be somewhere in the middle between free and not free by making it less expensive.

• I think that if high school is free then collage should be free, because it is all a type of learnign and so many people could have better jobs right now in the world if colladge was free, but instaed they are pay pay check to pay check.

• yes many students cannot affor colelge and maybe they want to be something big growing up but do not have the money to do so 

many students today are living in college debt probobly for the rest of there lifes.

• In my opinion, I don't think college should be free because I think it good idea to make student pay for their education so they take it more seriously then they do in high school.  I also think colleges should definitly lower the price should more people can afford it and not have as much student loans.

• I think the price of college should be at least half of what it is now. There are some good reasons to have free college like having less debt that you have to pay off. But nothing is really free so taxes would have to go up and that would lead to a lot of people not being happy.

• I do not think that college should be free because then there is no risk to it. If it was free, then the students wouldn't care if they got caught cheating or if they did badly. This would lead to a lot more dropouts, meaning it shouldn't be free.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker