Should college athletes get paid?

The ongoing battle of whether college athletes should be paid or not has been in some way debated since the 1980’s. I think that there are many pros and cons to both sides of the argument. There are many people who think that paying college athletes is a bad idea. One of the main reasons peo-ple do not want to pay college athletes is because it then erases the line between professional and college athletes. If that border line is eliminated it soon causes the education vs. the sports in college to weaken. Another claim is that it would prioritize athletics over academics. Students would worry more about making money than their education. This would lead to more failures and more ineligible students. There are several other reasons but the last one I will discuss is the fear of unequal pay checks. If college athletes began to get paid we would begin to see pay inequality starting at young ages including college sports causing less girls to involve themselves. 

On the other hand, some people think that it would be a great and beneficial thing. Those people would argue that it encourages healthy stuudent athletes and healthier habits. If a student knows they are going to be paid for their efforts, they will work harder towards the sport creating better and more competitive competitions. Another main claim is that it relieves student and family stress. When parents can depend a little bit on their college athletes it creates a less stressful environment. The last reason is because it allows students more time for school. If sport-playing students make money from playing sports they have more time to study instead of working.

Overall I think that paying college athletes would be beneficial. I understand that some make money off their NIL, but I think that they should be paid a salary. They might not have to be paid as much as professional athletes, but a little would help many people. I think athletes try  hard in college and deserve to have money and time. They split their time between school, work, and sports, and paying them would make it much easier for the players to study, sleep, eat better, and have mental health time. 

Do you think college athletes should get paid?

if so, how much?

If you were a college althete would you want to get paid and why?

https://vittana.org/14-should-college-athletes-be-paid-pros-and-cons 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with that because its like saying you should pay high school athletes becuase they work hard they train they do basically everything while still in school 

• In my opinion college students should get paid. Paying them would encourage them to practise more sports, which involves being healthier and it would also be so helpful for them to pay their needs without having to ask their parents to give them money. It could also help students to distract and rest from their studies and it would help them with their mental health. However, as you said it could distract students from studies and they could start focusing more in sports than studies so to prevent that, I would pay students as long as they are having good grades. 

• I agree it is encouraging

• The main issue I would see with paying college athletes is similar to the pro leagues with pay inequality. While I think this would be very beneficial for student athletes, it just adds to the ongoing fire of controversy in the world of profressional sports. If I was a college athlete, I would absolutely fight for pay for athletes as I feel they should be rewarded for the intense training that they go through to be able to perform regardless of gender or political views. 

• I see where you are coming from but I bet they would figure something out.

• I think that college athletes should get paid because it would help balance their schedule. Student athletes take time out of their day to participate in sports, giving them less time for work and for school. Giving them a small, but fair amount of money would allow them to focus less time on work, relieving some stress, and giving them more time to work on academics. I believe that they should get paid, but the college may not want to, so they should probably make around the same per hour as a fast food employee; however, if I was in the shoes of a college athlete, I would want to get paid more because the colleges also make money from games, so athletes should get paid too.

• I agree it would relieve stress

• I think that college athletes should get paid. They would have a hard time balancing college loans out without having a job. Insted, they decide to play a sport. They are sometime risking their life by maiking the choice to play sports. 1 mistake and the athlete could be done.

• I agree that its hard to balance sports and a job.

• This reply was deleted.
    • It would be a very hard task to try to work while doing a sport.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker