Should college athletes get paid?

The ongoing battle of whether college athletes should be paid or not has been in some way debated since the 1980’s. I think that there are many pros and cons to both sides of the argument. There are many people who think that paying college athletes is a bad idea. One of the main reasons peo-ple do not want to pay college athletes is because it then erases the line between professional and college athletes. If that border line is eliminated it soon causes the education vs. the sports in college to weaken. Another claim is that it would prioritize athletics over academics. Students would worry more about making money than their education. This would lead to more failures and more ineligible students. There are several other reasons but the last one I will discuss is the fear of unequal pay checks. If college athletes began to get paid we would begin to see pay inequality starting at young ages including college sports causing less girls to involve themselves. 

On the other hand, some people think that it would be a great and beneficial thing. Those people would argue that it encourages healthy stuudent athletes and healthier habits. If a student knows they are going to be paid for their efforts, they will work harder towards the sport creating better and more competitive competitions. Another main claim is that it relieves student and family stress. When parents can depend a little bit on their college athletes it creates a less stressful environment. The last reason is because it allows students more time for school. If sport-playing students make money from playing sports they have more time to study instead of working.

Overall I think that paying college athletes would be beneficial. I understand that some make money off their NIL, but I think that they should be paid a salary. They might not have to be paid as much as professional athletes, but a little would help many people. I think athletes try  hard in college and deserve to have money and time. They split their time between school, work, and sports, and paying them would make it much easier for the players to study, sleep, eat better, and have mental health time. 

Do you think college athletes should get paid?

if so, how much?

If you were a college althete would you want to get paid and why?

https://vittana.org/14-should-college-athletes-be-paid-pros-and-cons 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that they will work hard for it.

• what about high school athletes they want to work there way up to the top and make it to the NFL or whatever should they get paid as well 

• I believe that college athletes should get paid. They are the ones putting in the work and taking the damage from the sport. they devote all of their time and energy to it. If coaches get paid 5 million to coach the team than players should be able to get paid as well.

• I agree it is hard work

• My Opinion is they should get paid. I think they should make money becasue it good just to have money. And they will get a head start if they get drafted to the NFL.

• I agree it is good to have money

• I believe college athletes should get payed but not nearly as much as they are getting paid right now. They shouldn't be making millions, they should only make a couple hundred thousands because i think that them being paid millions of dollars is too much for them to handle. If i was in college yes i would like to be paid because if i dont get paid it would be hard for me and other people to pay for college or other needs.

• I agree that it shouldnt be even close to millions

• No college team should be paying there players, not only is that stupid for some, but there is no point of them getting paid because they have to work hard it make it to the NFL to get paid by a team. If I was a college athlete obvisouly i would wanna be paid.

• I see where you are coming from but I do not really agree.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker