Should Chop Blocking be illegal in football

Should chop blocking be illegal in football:

First off, what is chop blocking: it is when one offensive player blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower waist while another offensive player engages that same defensive player above the waist. video of chop blocking 

Lately people have been wanting chop blocking illegal from football. Many people have been getting injured from this block including the 2022 5th pick of the NFL draft Kayvon Thibodeaux. He was chop blocked in the preseason against the bengals and now could have a season ending injury.

The one thing about chop blocking is if it gets banned, it has been in football forever and it would change blocking in football and many teams would have to change their scheme in football. Almost every team has a play that you need to chop block its just part of the game at this point. So I believe if they do ban it or make it illegal it would change football forever. 

I believe that it shouldn't be illegal but football leagues should figure out a way to make it safer so young players don’t have career or season ending injuries. 

Do you think chop blocking should be illegal?

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/chop-block/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that it is a good block and it has been in football forever so they shouldn't ban it, but I feel like they could figure a way out to make it safer or make a way of chop blocking safe because if they don't many people could have carrer ending injuries.

• I agree that it is dangerous but I don't think it should be illegal. It has been a legal tackle for a long time, and many plays are designed around the move. They should find a way to make it safer or limit what kind of play it is used in

• I agree 100%, many teams and players wouldn't be able to adjust and it would be hard and would create many problems in football which would create another controversy what could cause another rule change.

• I agree that they should ban chop blocking, it sounds dangerous to young and older players. If they ban if it would probaly be hard to change their scemes but so nobody gets hurt they should ban it. There are many other ways they could figure out to tackle, in more efficient and effective ways. 

• I don't think they should ban it because like you said its part of teams scemes and it would be hard for teams to adjust now i do understand why you want it banned but they could figure a way out to make it safer and better for players.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker