Mr.Bruns is one of few teachers that offers extra credit opportunities to students. Extra credit is a great way for students to increase their grade %. “So if extra credit helps students’ grades, why don’t we have extra credit in every class?” The problem with that question is the fact that many teachers dislike extra credit. Some people believe in extra credit opportunities, while others don’t. So which side of this argument should be supported?

There are many good reasons why Mr.Bruns and other teachers offer extra credit opportunities. For starters, it helps students have better grades and a better chance of passing the class. If you are a student who struggles, you can put in some more time into the class in order to receive extra credit. Mr.Bruns offers note taking, reading History/CWI chapters, ect, in order to receive extra credit. This is a great way to help students in his class. If extra credit opportunities were given out in more classes, it could definitely benefit many students' grades. 

Although extra credit seems too good to be true, there are some cons to it. Many teachers respond to this argument saying that students will focus more time on extra credit, and less time on studying for test and/or doing homework. Students might spend a whole night working on extra credit assignments, and forget about their homework that was assigned, or their test that is coming up. Another argument that is issued is that it is simply not fair to all students. According to marktomforde, “you can't base one student's final grade on homework and exams, and then base another student's final grade on an "extra credit" project. It is simply not fair.”

Mr.Bruns has a cap amount of extra credit that a student can receive every semester. In my opinion, I think this is a great and fair way to give students extra credit opportunities. I believe that every teacher should be required to offer some extra credit opportunities. However, it should be the teacher's choice on how many opportunities he or she is willing to offer. Some students simply just struggle with classes no matter how much they study. So extra credit is a great way to help a student out. Plus, extra credit is a great way of studying for classes too!.

Do you take advantage of extra credit opportunities?

Do you think that extra credit opportunities should be offered to students? If so, should all teachers be required to offer them?

https://stampedenews.net/5519/news/academics/extra-credit-boosts-grades/ 

https://marktomforde.com/academic/undergraduates/NoExtraCredit.html 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well super job and once agian, Number 1! Even though I think Emercyn has actually overtaken you now. 

• I think that all teachers should give extra credit because there are many students have a really difficult time getting the classwork done so it would be nice if teachers gave extra credit as extra practice that you can get points for.

• Most of the time if I need it then yes I will take advantage of it but if I don't need it then I won't. Yes I think that extra credit opportunities should be given to students and they should take advantage of them if needed.

• i think it would be fair for all teachers to offer studests extra credits because some students really need it, so it would be really nice if all teachers would do that.

• Most of the time extra credit is offered. I will do it even if I have an A in the class. I think more students should be offered extra credit points especially in the classes that are harder for most students. Extra credits can help students who are failing have a chance at passing.

• I believe all teachers should give out extra credit. Some students struggle with certain subjects and may be at risk of failing the semester. With teachers giving extra credit, it can allow all students to pass the semester. All additional credit opportunities should be offered. 

• I think that all teachers should give it out. I think that it dose not allows do a lot for your grade. I think that it is helpful and that it should be given out. But it should always be up to the teacher like it is now. People should just try to keep their grades up. Not saying I have never used it but yes it is a good saftey net. 

• I don't take advantage of extra credit opportunities given by teachers. I personally feel like I should be able to pass the class with what other stuff they give me and not have to do extra in order to pass. It should be up to the teachers whether or not they feel they should give extra credit because they're the ones that know how hard their classes and they know the history on students being able to pass with the given homework or if they need extra credit. 

• Personally, I take advantage of them because I like to have the highest grade possible. 

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree. It is nice to have a cushion formed by extra credit in your grade book.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker