Mr.Bruns is one of few teachers that offers extra credit opportunities to students. Extra credit is a great way for students to increase their grade %. “So if extra credit helps students’ grades, why don’t we have extra credit in every class?” The problem with that question is the fact that many teachers dislike extra credit. Some people believe in extra credit opportunities, while others don’t. So which side of this argument should be supported?

There are many good reasons why Mr.Bruns and other teachers offer extra credit opportunities. For starters, it helps students have better grades and a better chance of passing the class. If you are a student who struggles, you can put in some more time into the class in order to receive extra credit. Mr.Bruns offers note taking, reading History/CWI chapters, ect, in order to receive extra credit. This is a great way to help students in his class. If extra credit opportunities were given out in more classes, it could definitely benefit many students' grades. 

Although extra credit seems too good to be true, there are some cons to it. Many teachers respond to this argument saying that students will focus more time on extra credit, and less time on studying for test and/or doing homework. Students might spend a whole night working on extra credit assignments, and forget about their homework that was assigned, or their test that is coming up. Another argument that is issued is that it is simply not fair to all students. According to marktomforde, “you can't base one student's final grade on homework and exams, and then base another student's final grade on an "extra credit" project. It is simply not fair.”

Mr.Bruns has a cap amount of extra credit that a student can receive every semester. In my opinion, I think this is a great and fair way to give students extra credit opportunities. I believe that every teacher should be required to offer some extra credit opportunities. However, it should be the teacher's choice on how many opportunities he or she is willing to offer. Some students simply just struggle with classes no matter how much they study. So extra credit is a great way to help a student out. Plus, extra credit is a great way of studying for classes too!.

Do you take advantage of extra credit opportunities?

Do you think that extra credit opportunities should be offered to students? If so, should all teachers be required to offer them?

https://stampedenews.net/5519/news/academics/extra-credit-boosts-grades/ 

https://marktomforde.com/academic/undergraduates/NoExtraCredit.html 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Personally, I do not use extra credit opportunities unless I am below a grade that I think is acceptable. I do think that extra credit should be offered to students because if someone bombs a test or assignment and has tried hard, they deserve another shot at passing. Or at least making up for some of their losses.

• I agree. Everyone has a bad test every now and then. Extra credit is a great way to help your grade. 

• I think all teachers should have extra credit. I think it would be nice if you have a low grade or just short of an A. Also I sometimes do extra credit if I have a C or lower just to get my grade up so it would be nice to have extra credit in more classes.

• I agree, I use extra credit to boost my grade up to an A or just higher. 

• I think that every class should have extra credit opportunities. I think it will be beneficial for students who need a little more credit so their grades can rise up. I personally don't do extra credit.

• I always like to do extra credit just because of how beneficial it is. 

• I do think extra credit opportunities should be offered to all students even if most are not going to take advange of them. I personally don't normally do extra credit expecially if I am passing the class and I normally only do it if I have an D- or and F in that class.

• I see what you're saying. That is what most people do. Just do extra credit if your grade is low. Personally, I just like to have my grade as high as possible, so I do extra credit no matter what. 

• I think teachers should offer at least a small amount of extra credit. It often helps kids at the begining of the quaters when one bad grade can really hurt a student. I don't think teachers should be forced to offer a lot of extra credit, but at least one assignment of extra credit would be very beneficiary to several students.

• I agree with you. It is good to get extra credit out of the way really fast to boost your grade. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker