Mr.Bruns is one of few teachers that offers extra credit opportunities to students. Extra credit is a great way for students to increase their grade %. “So if extra credit helps students’ grades, why don’t we have extra credit in every class?” The problem with that question is the fact that many teachers dislike extra credit. Some people believe in extra credit opportunities, while others don’t. So which side of this argument should be supported?

There are many good reasons why Mr.Bruns and other teachers offer extra credit opportunities. For starters, it helps students have better grades and a better chance of passing the class. If you are a student who struggles, you can put in some more time into the class in order to receive extra credit. Mr.Bruns offers note taking, reading History/CWI chapters, ect, in order to receive extra credit. This is a great way to help students in his class. If extra credit opportunities were given out in more classes, it could definitely benefit many students' grades. 

Although extra credit seems too good to be true, there are some cons to it. Many teachers respond to this argument saying that students will focus more time on extra credit, and less time on studying for test and/or doing homework. Students might spend a whole night working on extra credit assignments, and forget about their homework that was assigned, or their test that is coming up. Another argument that is issued is that it is simply not fair to all students. According to marktomforde, “you can't base one student's final grade on homework and exams, and then base another student's final grade on an "extra credit" project. It is simply not fair.”

Mr.Bruns has a cap amount of extra credit that a student can receive every semester. In my opinion, I think this is a great and fair way to give students extra credit opportunities. I believe that every teacher should be required to offer some extra credit opportunities. However, it should be the teacher's choice on how many opportunities he or she is willing to offer. Some students simply just struggle with classes no matter how much they study. So extra credit is a great way to help a student out. Plus, extra credit is a great way of studying for classes too!.

Do you take advantage of extra credit opportunities?

Do you think that extra credit opportunities should be offered to students? If so, should all teachers be required to offer them?

https://stampedenews.net/5519/news/academics/extra-credit-boosts-grades/ 

https://marktomforde.com/academic/undergraduates/NoExtraCredit.html 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that extra credit opportunities should be offered to student. You can always have a bad day and do not so good on a test even though you have the potential to do good. Extra credit is a good opportunity for hard-working students to improve their grade. I think it also shows that the students want to put extra time into it in order to improve. 

• I agree. One bad day could absolutely ruin your grade. Thats why extra credit is a great way to help you in school. 

• I think that extra credit opportunities are good, me personally i miss alot of school and i take advantage of the extra credit when i can. But not alot of teacher offer extra credit, i personally think that all teacher should be required to give and least 5 extra credit points per quarters.

• For those who do miss school, it is good to have extra credit to help your grade. 

• I feel like extra credit opportunities should be provided. I feel like students would take advantage of it more than teachers think. I feel like a lot of teachers think that students wouldn't do the extra work, but in all actuality, many students would. It especially helps when you or your parents are hard on yourself academically. I feel it would help improve many students' grades. 

• I agree. The more extra credit, the more success that comes out of students. Which shows in the grade-book. 

• I think that all teachers of any class need to offer some form of extra credit. Say you're sick so you miss a couple of days of school and on those days there was a piece of homework that was due and there's a two-day window to turn that homework in or else you'd get a zero. If you're still sick for those two days then even if you had that homework done, and done well, you wouldn't get credit for it. I also believe that extra credit opportunities could help even out the playing field.

• I agree. If you're sick a miss a few days. It can be really hard to catch up. And when you do, you don't know the concept as well as the other students. Forcing a worse score on tests. That's why extra credit is great to bump your grade up. 

• I take advanatge of extra oppertunities all the time because you never know when your grade is drop. I think all teachers should allow extra credit, espacailly if your in a sports because you need to be above a D. You never know how much someone is struggling in a class and sometimes they could really use the extra credit.

• I agree. Extra credit can really help keeping your grade up so you can participate in your sport activities. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker