Should 9th and 10th grades get open campus?

Everyone got super confused when people read Mrs. Ring's email about the fall semester test schedule. She stated in the 9th and 10th grade section open campus, "You can earn it, but once you are on campus, you have to say." What is that supposed to mean? We can earn an open campus, but as soon as we arrive at school, it gets taken away? She needs to understand what open campus means. Some people find it hard to take her seriously as an authority figure because she is trying too hard to be our friend instead. This might is where the confusing statement comes from. She wants to be nice, but as an authority figure, she wants all of the younger half of high schoolers to stay at school instead of running around, possibly causing problems. Perhaps she doesn't trust us yet. Everyone loved the schedule and how it was, and she came in here and changed it up in her first year. First, a shortened lunch period, and now she completely changed the semester test schedule as well as the permissions that come with it. Perhaps if she dialed back the changes, people would like her more. It turns out that Mrs. Ring doesn’t like to see herself as an authority figure, even though that is her position. She would like to build a relationship with the student body instead of being some old hag sitting in the office as we’ve had in the past. I also found out that she is more concerned about our safety and didn’t know what to call the new/ old policy. Perhaps she should just call it half-open. Or, develop a system that requires parental permission for the students in 10th grade who can drive to leave. We are more impacted by this change. The 9th graders haven’t experienced the freedom we have. What do you think? Should we stick with the plan that Mrs. Ring has? Or should we change it to a system that requires parental permission? Mabey you have a better idea. Let me know what you think.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• yes, I think freshman and sophmores should have open campus because its tiering to just take the test and not to able to take a break and be able to get ready for our next test, so i think it should be fair for everyone to have open campus.

• So first of all, I'm glad you got this posted!! With that said, the topic whas been done twice already and it is several days late.

• I think the whole school should get open campus as long they are not failing a class. Having longer times in between classes helped students to study or leave school yo take a break before their next test. Mrs. Ring is just doing what she can to solve problems that had happened in the past. So all the blam can't land on her for the new rules.

• I feel that 9th and 10th graders should be able to have open campus as long as they are being responsible and have good grades or at least passing grades. I also beleive that as long as the students aren't messing around and being bad it could be ok. 

• This new semester test schedule is not only confusing but extremely inconvenient and unfair. I think that Mrs.Ring doesn’t really understand how hard school can be for a student. Not only does it take up most of our time when we are out of school to work on homework, go to work and, do after-school sports but having to study until we go to bed is just inconvenient. Then we go to school tired and of course, the first thing the adults think is that we were up to late playing on our phones. So, in my opinion, having more time in between classes to study more a prepare better for the next test is way more helpful, especially for the freshman that has never taken a semester test. The open campus issue is in my opinion just ridiculous because if we were going to abuse the power that we have with open campus we would’ve last year and it is just unfair basically take it away and say we can earn it but not explain how it's just not fair for us or the freshmen have a lot less freedom than all of us. Even if we did get the opportunity to have an open campus if you’re worried about us abusing the power the parental permission would make it so that you don’t have to worry about us getting in trouble.

• I believe that 9th and 10th graders should get open campus depending on what their grades look like. I feel like it is only fair to do so. Also I feel like we should have our old schedule back because we could study in between tests and have more down time in between classes.

• I think that 9th and 10 graders should get open campus because we always had open campus until this new principal decides she feels obligated to make changes.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker