Sex Education in America

Only 13 out of the 50 states in America require sex education in schools to be medically accurate. The majority of schools in America are told to teach about STDs and abstinence, but not about contraceptives. Students are forced to learn and teach themselves about sex education topics through often unreliable sources rather than being taught right in schools. Did this surprise you or even disturb you? It should as these are all accurate statements about the sex education curriculum in our own school and the schools in America. 

Do you remember taking the course "human growth and development" in middle school? Do you remember learning about sex, contraceptives, or pregnancy? No? Well that's because our school never covered those topics in our supposed "sex ed" class. The lack of sex education in not only our school, but the thousands of other schools in America is terrifying to think about for the sole reason that it can lead to unplanned teen pregnancies, STDs, and ignorance. We need better sex ed in America so that future generations and even the young kids in elementary schools right now will understand and be informed about sex and sex related topics. 

Studies have shown that more teen pregnancies occur in schools that teach "abstinence only" sex ed which is also what our school preaches. Students feel more informed, make safer decisions, and therefore have better and healthier outcomes when their sex education is understandable and comprehensive. With an actual sex education program in schools, there would be more prevention of teen pregnancies and prevention of sexually transmitted diseases and infections. We deserve to be taught sooner rather than later about the changes in our bodies and about sex in general. It's such an avoided topic to the point that people become ignorant about it and don't care about the consequences of their actions since they have never been taught that sex leads to pregnancy without the proper protection being used. There also needs to be guidelines and an accurate curriculum for teachers to follow and teach off of so they aren't left to interpret the vague and unclear "rules" given out by state legislative.

Sex education is supposed to be medically accurate and taught properly. Instead, students just like you and I are left to our own devices to figure out how everything works and what sex even is. First of all, it's most certainly not fair and second of all, it should be unconstitutional to teach inaccurate sex education because that leads to unplanned teen pregnancy and STDs. 

Do you think sex education should be taught better in America?

Do you agree with abstinence only sex ed?

At what age and grade do you feel sex ed should be taught?

https://nursing.usc.edu/blog/americas-sex-education/

STDs reported by teens in the United States, by state. Teen birth rates in the United States

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that it should be taught better in the U.S. because it would lower the STD rate and make everything safer. I think that they should probably teach us about this subject in high school. I think it should be in high school because that is when you really start to see things happen.

• I agree with you because many teens will start becoming sexually active going into high school, but they haven't ever been taught proper sex education so it can lead to STDs and teen pregnancies. We all know that teens have sex and if they're going to do so, they should at least practice safe sex and have access to contraceptives.

• I think that proper education of American high school students in relation to sex ed is extremely important. While I think it would be best for a parent or guardian to discuss this topic, many will not do so. I think it's important that students gain this information in a safe, and fact-based learning environment. I think the concept of abstinance only sex ed is doing more harm than good. Instead of creating a safe space for students to learn, it only teaches fear. I personally think that around 8th or 9th grade is an appropriate time to begin discussing the topic of sex education. 

• I agree with you, by bringing up sex in a way that kids are not being told flat out don't do it they are more open to hearing the other information that the teacher is giving. I think that having a class that students have to take ensures that students are informed and can make smart choices. 

• I agree with you. Many people on this forum post have said that a parent or guardian should teach sex ed to their children, but they don't. All students and kids should and deserve to know about sex and all sex related topics.

• I agree with you, and true this topic should first be discussed with a parent or guardian but a lot of them don't do it because they make the situation akward and make the kid feel uncomfortable. So there has to be a place where they can learn it and school is well not the perfect place, but the only place that it could be possible to teach every kid.

• I think that it would be a great thing to lower the STD and teen pregnancy numbers. There are defiantly kids that don't understand this topic. I am not sure if it should be a class. I think it should be something that your parents or the person that you live with should teach you. 

• Here's the thing, many parents don't feel comfortable or just plain won't tell or teach their children about sex. It should be a class in schools because then nearly all kids will have access to proper sex education.

• I agree with you I feel like parents sometimes neglect to do so because they feel akward and make their uncomfortable which causes the teen to be confused and treat the situation as none important until they don't know what to do and guess with it. It should be taught at schools because let's be honest it's the only place where we would actually show up. 

• I agree with you, it would lower the number of STDs and also the number of people getting and spreading AIDs. I do agree with you, I don't necessarily know if it should be a class I'm sure your parents would tell you when they feel the time is right, but it could be an option.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker