Security cameras around school campus

Do you think schools should be allowed to have cameras in the hallways,  classrooms, and all around campus? This has been a very controversial topic for awhile. There are many pros and cons for both sides.

In an article I read, it said that 91% of public schools had security cameras in their hallways in 2020-2021. This is showing that the majority of public schools use this as a form of security. In that same article, it states that security cameras in schools are the second most used form of security. Schools rely on security camera footage for lots of things including fights, crashes, vandalism, theft, etc. 

There are many pros for having security cameras throughout schools, here are a few. If schools have security cameras outside of the school they can see what is going on in the parking lot and who comes into the school. Safety is the main reason schools have security cameras. To keep kids safe from intruders, to keep their belongings safe, and to keep them safe from other students. With security camera footage, schools can share important clips with emergency responders to figure out problems that might have happened.

Looking past all of the pros about this, there can also be some cons. Some might say it is an invasion of privacy to  students, teachers, and anyone who comes into the building. Another issue could be the cost of installing these cameras and purchasing them. They aren't cheap so the school has to have enough money to fund them or it might cause issues. Some might claim that security cameras don't help the crime because it has already been committed, so they can't do anything to prevent it.

I personally think schools should definitely have cameras on campus. I think it makes a safe environment for everyone, it can help solve many issues and all together make everyone feel a little more safe. It can also solve disputes between people if there was a crash and they don't know whose fault it was because the cameras would also be outside. I don't think that cameras should be inside classrooms though because that is a learning environment and it would feel weird having one in a classroom. They should definitely be showing all entrances to the rooms and their surroundings. 

Do you think schools should keep security cameras? 

Do you think cameras make the schools more safe? 

Would you be uncomfortable if there was a camera in your classroom?

https://www.weareteachers.com/web-cams-in-school/

https://www.rhombus.com/blog/school-security-cameras-video-surveillance-systems-pros-and-cons/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• i think schools should have cameras in case of emergencys. like if someone went missing during a drill or an acutal fire they would at least know they were safe. Cameras make the school safer and more stable. I wouldn't mind my classroom having cameras. you can never be too safe.

• I agee with you. If someone came into the school the cameras would show lots of evidence of everything that happened.

• I think that schools should keep there security cameras because if something bad happens they wont know who did it or when it happened. I think that having camras is great because people see those and know not to do something bad because they will get caught.

• I agree. I think cameras help kids think twice before doing something bad because they might worry about the consequences, others don't care.

• Yes, I think that security cameras help the school staff catch kids who do bad things. But honestly, I don't think there should be a security camera in the classrooms. That is violating everyone in the room. It goes against our rights. 

• I think that we should have cameras outside the school and in hallways but not in the classrooms. It would not help with solving crimes and possibly make it hard for students to focus on the teacher rather than the cameras. I think it would be a invasion privacy in the classroom but I could understand them being outside. 

• I agree. I think that cameras help figure out what students did something wrong. I also think it would be an invasion of privacy.

• I think schools should not have security cmaeras in their classrom becuase it invaids privacy. I think in some situations it would keep people safe but not in most so they would not be needed. I would feel unconftorable becuase I would feel watched.

• I do not think schools should keep security cameras except for maybe outside watching doors. Schools need to trust kids without cameras. Many kids would enjoy not feeling like they are being watched. There are very few times when cameras resolve an issue anyways. 

• I don't think that schools should have cameras in their classrooms. I do think that there should be cameras outside of the classrooms, like in the hallways, lunch rooms, parking lots, and gyms. But if there would be cameras in the classrooms I feel as if it would make students feel uncomfortable in their work environment. Students may feel as if they are being watched and judged while doing their work and it may effect their learning. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker