Security cameras around school campus

Do you think schools should be allowed to have cameras in the hallways,  classrooms, and all around campus? This has been a very controversial topic for awhile. There are many pros and cons for both sides.

In an article I read, it said that 91% of public schools had security cameras in their hallways in 2020-2021. This is showing that the majority of public schools use this as a form of security. In that same article, it states that security cameras in schools are the second most used form of security. Schools rely on security camera footage for lots of things including fights, crashes, vandalism, theft, etc. 

There are many pros for having security cameras throughout schools, here are a few. If schools have security cameras outside of the school they can see what is going on in the parking lot and who comes into the school. Safety is the main reason schools have security cameras. To keep kids safe from intruders, to keep their belongings safe, and to keep them safe from other students. With security camera footage, schools can share important clips with emergency responders to figure out problems that might have happened.

Looking past all of the pros about this, there can also be some cons. Some might say it is an invasion of privacy to  students, teachers, and anyone who comes into the building. Another issue could be the cost of installing these cameras and purchasing them. They aren't cheap so the school has to have enough money to fund them or it might cause issues. Some might claim that security cameras don't help the crime because it has already been committed, so they can't do anything to prevent it.

I personally think schools should definitely have cameras on campus. I think it makes a safe environment for everyone, it can help solve many issues and all together make everyone feel a little more safe. It can also solve disputes between people if there was a crash and they don't know whose fault it was because the cameras would also be outside. I don't think that cameras should be inside classrooms though because that is a learning environment and it would feel weird having one in a classroom. They should definitely be showing all entrances to the rooms and their surroundings. 

Do you think schools should keep security cameras? 

Do you think cameras make the schools more safe? 

Would you be uncomfortable if there was a camera in your classroom?

https://www.weareteachers.com/web-cams-in-school/

https://www.rhombus.com/blog/school-security-cameras-video-surveillance-systems-pros-and-cons/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that school should have security cameras. I think that they are important. Think that if keeps the students safe and aslo they can see what going on in halls and everywhere else.

• I think schoold should lkeep security cameras for many different reasons such as safety, protection and stealing/ things going missing. I personally do think that cameras make the school safe if there was no cameras I think manhings would go down. 

• I think that schools should keep security cameras because having a safe environment in schools is imortant. I feel that cameras make schools more safer becuase it can solve many issues, like if something bad happend. I would probably be comfortable if there was a camera in my classroom becuase I wouldn't really mind about it, but others might not agree becuase of their invasion of privacy.

• I think that there should be security cameras at school. In my view, it would make the schools more safe because you can see everything that is going on and people  might not do so many bad things because of it. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable if there was a camera in the classroom because there's nothing to hide and I don't think that anyone would really watches if nothing is happening. 

• I think schools should have security cameras. Cameras make the school more safe because if anything illegal happens on school grounds they can go back through the cameras. I think its also safer for the students if theres a shooter in the area and we can prepare earlier. The only place that would make me uncomfortable is the bathrooms. 

• I think the decision to have security cameras should be made by the school administrators. In bigger school districts a lot of fights happen in bathrooms and hallways. I think with security cameras people might not do as many dangerous acts. However, having cameras is kind of cutting into people's privacy and might make students uncomfortable and affect their learning.

• I think that the decision on whether or not a school should have security cameras depends on the school and their needs. For some districts, schools may feel it is necesary to have cameras to protect students, teachers, and other staff. But personally, I think that security cameras create another added pressure of being watched, on top of stress due to school itself. In a building where we are meant to feel safe, there shouldn't be security cameras everywhere. 

• I agree. I understand having them outside or maybe in the hallways, but in classrooms and other sectioned off spaces, I don't see the need for them.

• I think there should be security cameras all around the school but personally to me I don't think they should be able to put them in the classrooms.  The only reason why I think they should have security cameras arround the halls and outside the school is because there is always something that goes on.

• I agree. Classrooms should be more of a teachers responsibility to keep kids under control. It should be their space, and not worrying about constantly having cameras watching the class.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker