Security cameras around school campus

Do you think schools should be allowed to have cameras in the hallways,  classrooms, and all around campus? This has been a very controversial topic for awhile. There are many pros and cons for both sides.

In an article I read, it said that 91% of public schools had security cameras in their hallways in 2020-2021. This is showing that the majority of public schools use this as a form of security. In that same article, it states that security cameras in schools are the second most used form of security. Schools rely on security camera footage for lots of things including fights, crashes, vandalism, theft, etc. 

There are many pros for having security cameras throughout schools, here are a few. If schools have security cameras outside of the school they can see what is going on in the parking lot and who comes into the school. Safety is the main reason schools have security cameras. To keep kids safe from intruders, to keep their belongings safe, and to keep them safe from other students. With security camera footage, schools can share important clips with emergency responders to figure out problems that might have happened.

Looking past all of the pros about this, there can also be some cons. Some might say it is an invasion of privacy to  students, teachers, and anyone who comes into the building. Another issue could be the cost of installing these cameras and purchasing them. They aren't cheap so the school has to have enough money to fund them or it might cause issues. Some might claim that security cameras don't help the crime because it has already been committed, so they can't do anything to prevent it.

I personally think schools should definitely have cameras on campus. I think it makes a safe environment for everyone, it can help solve many issues and all together make everyone feel a little more safe. It can also solve disputes between people if there was a crash and they don't know whose fault it was because the cameras would also be outside. I don't think that cameras should be inside classrooms though because that is a learning environment and it would feel weird having one in a classroom. They should definitely be showing all entrances to the rooms and their surroundings. 

Do you think schools should keep security cameras? 

Do you think cameras make the schools more safe? 

Would you be uncomfortable if there was a camera in your classroom?

https://www.weareteachers.com/web-cams-in-school/

https://www.rhombus.com/blog/school-security-cameras-video-surveillance-systems-pros-and-cons/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that schools should not have security cameras because it would feel like there are always people keeping a watch on me. However, I also think that students would not misbehave as much if they assume there is someone watching them. I feel that many people would be uncomfortable and there would be many problems with this and they would have a big problem with students. 

• In my opinion, I could see either side of this argument. Cameras could protect both students and teachers and it would most likely result in better rule-following. This could prevent cheating on tests as well. However, as a student I think that I would feel uncomfortable, not because I'm doing anything wrong, but because it's like someone's constantly watching me. 

• I agree. Especially with cameras in a classroom I would feel like I am constantly being watched, which I dont like.

• I think that schools should have cameras. They are just there to help and its not like they are in the bathrooms. They are just trying to protect the students and staff from danger or getting in trouble for no reason. 

• I think that schools having security cameras is good and that they should keep them because they help make the school be a safer environment. Cameras in the halls and stair ways are understandable but inside the classrooms would probably make things weird for the students and they might not be able to concentrate knowing someone unknown is watching them. 

• I think that there should be cameras in the hallways and outside the school but I do no think that there should be cameras inside the classroom. I think that it would make a lot of students uncomfotable in the class if they knew that people they do not know can hear them talk. 

• I think that security cameras are necessary for school campus. They can be used to make a way safer school environment, and I don't think that we are way better off with them. I don't really think that they are needed in our school classrooms, but maybe if problems arise, that maybe they should start to put them in classrooms. 

• I agree with you. I don't think our school would be a very safe place without them. People wouldn't worry about getting caught becuase there would be no way to prove that they did it. 

•  I think that schools should have security cameras. I think they are importnant for if there is a situation in which they have to go back and find evidence for something.  I  think the cameras make schools safer. I think I would be comfortable having a camera in a classroom. 

• I think we should keep security cameras around the school. The cameras should only be placed in the hallways, lunchrooms, and gyms. Cameras around the school helps keep us safe and helps the school figure out the kids who skip class. I wouldn't be uncomfortablewith a camera in the class, but I would prefer if there weren't any cameras in classrooms.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker