School Lunch Around the World Compared to America

All around the world there are different standards for how students are provided lunch at school. Some countries school’s that don't allow students to bring lunch like France and Japan. While some schools don't serve lunch at all and expect kids to bring food from home like Canada. Every country has their own lunch guidelines.

Most European countries have the same basic outlines for school lunches. Italy banned serving fried food to students in school. Lunches typically have starch like rice or pasta, at least 2 vegetables, main food being: meat, fish and fruit. Now France provides multiple courses. The first one is a starter of vegetables followed by the main dish of meat and vegetables. Next a cheese course with bread on the side. The last course is a fruit or on the last day of week a sweet. Lunch is also usually 2 hours long for both Italy and France.

Now moving to the Asian countries. Japan has what is considered to be the healthiest school lunch. A typical lunch in Japan could have rice, grilled fish, seaweed wraps, miso soup, green tea, milk, vegetables, meat, tofu, or noodles. Students also help cook, serve, and clean after the lunches. Lunch in China  is around 40 minutes long. In China lunch usually consists of noodles, rice dumplings, steamed pork buns, soups, fruit and vegetables as well.

In the countries in Asia and Europe school meals typically are not funded by the government. The food is funded locally and grown locally too. Food is also prepared in the school from scratch unlike America. 

When it comes down to school lunches around the world some countries can't even compete for the best lunch. 1 country that can't compete is America. When you go to line up and get your tray you usually get 1-2 slots filled with some type of pre cooked food and the rest of the slots you have to fill with fruit and vegetables. The portions of food are typically not very big either. Lunch typically lasts between 30-45 minutes. Most food provided is frozen not made from scratch.

In my opinion I think that school lunches in America are definitely mediocre compared to countries in europe. I think that the school boards or government should find a way to provide better meals for students. 

Do you like the current lunches the school provides?

What country's lunch would you prefer?

10993578865?profile=RESIZE_710x

https://cromwell-intl.com/travel/france/school-lunch-menus/ 

https://www.google.com/search?q=italy+school+lunch&rlz=1C1GCEV_en___US1020&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjh8eHZ58f9AhWklGoFHdkQBygQ_AUoAXoECAMQAw&biw=1366&bih=625&dpr=1#imgrc=SNylf80aMSMQmM

https://www.bokksu.com/blogs/news/lunch-in-japanese-schools#:~:text=Typical%20Japanese%20School%20Menu&text=Some%20foods%20that%20may%20appear,seaweed%20soup%2C%20and%20miso%20soup.

https://www.japanesefoodguide.com/japanese-school-lunch/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• No, I don't like what the school serves to us. I think that they are cheap and lazy when it comes to school food. Yesterday we had two ham and cheese roll ups and I think that is pathetic. I do not see that as nutritious at all and thats more of a snack than a meal. I think I would prefer Spain's or Italy's food.

• No, I do not like the school lunch we get because of how it is processed. Also, I feel like they don't give us enough food sometimes, and there are a lot of students who are still hungry even after getting extras. I would prefer Italy's lunch if I had a choice.

• I personally think most of our lunch is fake. The way it is processed is like dog food in my opinion. Some days are better than others for our lunch. I think the "meat" we eat is not really meat and is horrible. I'd prefer Italy's lunch. Theres looks apetizing and refreshing.

• I agree that the food we are given does not really equal a meal in anyway.

• I personally don't really like the food here because of how processed it feels most of the time but it does have some good days. I feel that the US has the worst food out of all these countries. I personally that Italies lunch looks really good and healthy too.

• I HATE our lunch. Its never really good and they just repeat the same meal every week it gets worse and worse as the year goes on. I think Micheal Obama has a huge part in that. She was the one that really pushed healthy eating and then all our meals changed to bad. I would like the greece meal because it look really filling and it doesnt look like they got it out of the freezer and just warmed it up.

• If they cant afford better food they should atleat be able to change the foods they buy evry now and agin.

• I think our lunches should change becasue its not very good or healthy and we dont have a lot of food somethimes. i think we should have more options on what to eat and not have chicken 10 times in a month, i think we should switch up the options a bit

• In my opion our school lunches should be a little bit more healthy with a addition of real meat. I know that food prices are sky rocketing, but it is worth spending money then getting kids sick and not wanting to eat anymore. School lunches should become real food.

• I agree that there should be more real meat and not fake meat like soy burgers.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker