School Lunch Around the World Compared to America

All around the world there are different standards for how students are provided lunch at school. Some countries school’s that don't allow students to bring lunch like France and Japan. While some schools don't serve lunch at all and expect kids to bring food from home like Canada. Every country has their own lunch guidelines.

Most European countries have the same basic outlines for school lunches. Italy banned serving fried food to students in school. Lunches typically have starch like rice or pasta, at least 2 vegetables, main food being: meat, fish and fruit. Now France provides multiple courses. The first one is a starter of vegetables followed by the main dish of meat and vegetables. Next a cheese course with bread on the side. The last course is a fruit or on the last day of week a sweet. Lunch is also usually 2 hours long for both Italy and France.

Now moving to the Asian countries. Japan has what is considered to be the healthiest school lunch. A typical lunch in Japan could have rice, grilled fish, seaweed wraps, miso soup, green tea, milk, vegetables, meat, tofu, or noodles. Students also help cook, serve, and clean after the lunches. Lunch in China  is around 40 minutes long. In China lunch usually consists of noodles, rice dumplings, steamed pork buns, soups, fruit and vegetables as well.

In the countries in Asia and Europe school meals typically are not funded by the government. The food is funded locally and grown locally too. Food is also prepared in the school from scratch unlike America. 

When it comes down to school lunches around the world some countries can't even compete for the best lunch. 1 country that can't compete is America. When you go to line up and get your tray you usually get 1-2 slots filled with some type of pre cooked food and the rest of the slots you have to fill with fruit and vegetables. The portions of food are typically not very big either. Lunch typically lasts between 30-45 minutes. Most food provided is frozen not made from scratch.

In my opinion I think that school lunches in America are definitely mediocre compared to countries in europe. I think that the school boards or government should find a way to provide better meals for students. 

Do you like the current lunches the school provides?

What country's lunch would you prefer?

10993578865?profile=RESIZE_710x

https://cromwell-intl.com/travel/france/school-lunch-menus/ 

https://www.google.com/search?q=italy+school+lunch&rlz=1C1GCEV_en___US1020&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjh8eHZ58f9AhWklGoFHdkQBygQ_AUoAXoECAMQAw&biw=1366&bih=625&dpr=1#imgrc=SNylf80aMSMQmM

https://www.bokksu.com/blogs/news/lunch-in-japanese-schools#:~:text=Typical%20Japanese%20School%20Menu&text=Some%20foods%20that%20may%20appear,seaweed%20soup%2C%20and%20miso%20soup.

https://www.japanesefoodguide.com/japanese-school-lunch/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think most people would agree that school lunch is not good to taste or very healthy. It probably has to do with funding and time. Well-prepared meals would be amazing, but then you would have to pay people more for that work. School employees don't always get the compensation they deserve and I don't think many districts would give justifiable pay for making good quality meals.

• The school is funded by the governement so you would think it could afford more than loccaly funded schools.

• I think that the school lunch now is bad. I'm not 100% sure it is our school's fault, but it definitely needs to be better. The US lunch in the picture is not what our lunch looks like, the lunch in that picture looks so much better than what they serve us. 

• I agree the picture of American luch is not what we are served for lunch.

• I think school lunch is bad, but I don't think it is the school's fault. Maybe the school is lacking donations or funding so they can't make pleasable food. There is also the choice of bringing your own lunch from home which would be an easy solution.

• I think out school lunch is bad but its not good, and its not the schools fault necserilly but the govnment if you go to a public school. I think Greece looks pretty good but I dont think thats actually what it would look like. 

• I agree that the lunch is not good.

• I know that our school could do better at making food. Even the US food looks better in the picture than our school's food. If our parents were served the food we have, they wouldn't eat it at their job. They would throw it away and wouldn't pay for it. But because they don't see it on a daily basis they don't know 

• One issue with that arguement is that could the school do better with what they have? I am not sure what our school has but I know that there is human error and things like our school yesterday didn't have white milk and only had chocolate milk and this is because of human error. Some of the issues that our school has, is it human error? Could it be becuase we don't have enough people working in the kitchen?

• I think that people not being in the kitchen contributes to the problem. For today, when going through the lunch line, it looks like they are almost out of milk. I also know that sometimes they aren't paid enough. But we could also get other admin in the kitchen. When we had Mrs. Johnson as a step-in superintendent. She was always in the kitchen helping, serving food, and washing dishes. We don't see Mrs. Ring doing this. We don't see Mrs. Barnett doing this. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker