School Dress Codes

Dress codes play a big part in numerous schools in America and around the world. These dress codes make it so students do not wear inappropriate clothing. Many schools enforce stringent dress codes; however, some schools do not. Are these dress codes targeted toward a specific gender? There are several different opinions on dress codes at school. But wouldn't you think if the dress code is pointed toward the whole school, it's not aimed at one specific gender? 

Some people say that school dress codes are very biased towards the female gender. Many sources say over half of the rules in the dress code handbook apply to female clothing. If a girl is being dress coded for distracting the male gender, should that really be her own fault? Various people think that this is the male's fault for getting distracted by the female body. Females should be allowed to dress in what they are comfortable in.

There are also people that believe the dress codes are targeted toward both genders, male and female. Lots of these people think that dress codes are helping assist a more professional learning environment for students and they need to be kept the same. Sources say, “Over 69 percent prohibit items typically associated with males, such as “muscle tees” and “sagging pants”.”

In my opinion, I think that the school dress codes can often be pretty biased toward females. It does seem that many of the rules for dress codes are mainly pointed at females and very few are pointed at males. I would say almost 95 percent of students that get coded are females. 

Do you think dress codes apply to females?

If so, do you think they need to be changed?

https://thedispatchonline.net/13573/journalism-1/dress-codes-are-biased-against-females 

https://www.centraltimes.org/opinions/2021/12/11/opinion-dress-codes-discriminate-against-girls 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think dress code is directed a little bit more towards girls but also it's a little bit easier for guys to follow it. I think the dress code we have right now at our school is good and reasonable. It keeps everyone from looking inapproiate but also lets them still have freedom in what they wear. 

• I do believe the dress code is directed more towards girls, boys may dress differently the girls, but they shouldn't be so strict for what girls wear. We should be able to wear what we want and not be judged or punished because they think the boys are "distracted". In my opinion, boys get distracted by every little thing, even stuff that doesn't have anything to do with the female body. Adults need to understand that there is a different clothing style now and its harder to find cute/trendy clothing that fits the dress code, maybe they need to modernize it a little bit.

• I think that the dress code is directed more towards girls, but I also think that they are usually the ones that get dress coded. I don't think girls follow the dress code as much but I think they should still enforce it on guys because they break it sometimes too. 

• I think dress codes are targeted towards girls more than boys. I can understand why some places would choose to have a dress code to ensure that people are dressed appropriately for the place, but it is not uncommon for dress codes to go over the top.

• I personally think that the dress codes are targeted toward both genders, male and female. school dress codes are more strict towards the female gender. But I think that there are more rules for dress codes that are mainly for  females.

• I do think that schools' dress codes are directed toward girls. It's mostly girls getting the dress-coded majority of the time. I think that the dress code is also very out dated. I think it needs to change and be updated. It would have a better reputation if it wasn't targeted toward girls.

• Yes, I feel like this is targeted at girls and that it is their fashion, making them look good. I feel like it isn't even that big of a deal and they overreact about things and feel like there needs to be a big change in the dress code. It also needs to get up to date.

• I can see what you are saying. I also agree that it needs a little more up to date, that could change some of our minds. 

• I think that the school's dress code is mostly for girls. The girls are definitely the ones to get dress-coded more than the guys. But girls are wearing stuff that doesn't follow the dress code. I wish that they would look at everyone before singling out a girl, but most of the time guys are breaking the dress code.

• I think the dress code is mainly directed towards girls, however the girls are usually the ones breaking the dress code. I think that the dress code can stay the same and doesnt need to be changed. I do wish that they were more consistent with it with everyone, not just girls. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker