School Dress Codes

Dress codes play a big part in numerous schools in America and around the world. These dress codes make it so students do not wear inappropriate clothing. Many schools enforce stringent dress codes; however, some schools do not. Are these dress codes targeted toward a specific gender? There are several different opinions on dress codes at school. But wouldn't you think if the dress code is pointed toward the whole school, it's not aimed at one specific gender? 

Some people say that school dress codes are very biased towards the female gender. Many sources say over half of the rules in the dress code handbook apply to female clothing. If a girl is being dress coded for distracting the male gender, should that really be her own fault? Various people think that this is the male's fault for getting distracted by the female body. Females should be allowed to dress in what they are comfortable in.

There are also people that believe the dress codes are targeted toward both genders, male and female. Lots of these people think that dress codes are helping assist a more professional learning environment for students and they need to be kept the same. Sources say, “Over 69 percent prohibit items typically associated with males, such as “muscle tees” and “sagging pants”.”

In my opinion, I think that the school dress codes can often be pretty biased toward females. It does seem that many of the rules for dress codes are mainly pointed at females and very few are pointed at males. I would say almost 95 percent of students that get coded are females. 

Do you think dress codes apply to females?

If so, do you think they need to be changed?

https://thedispatchonline.net/13573/journalism-1/dress-codes-are-biased-against-females 

https://www.centraltimes.org/opinions/2021/12/11/opinion-dress-codes-discriminate-against-girls 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• The dress code is something that seems to be talked about a lot. I think that it could be argued any way. I think that there are rules that are in place and I think those rules effect females more than males, but does this mean it is aimed at them. I do not think so I think that yes more females are effected by it but also you most of the time wouldn't find a guy who dresses in as short of pants or has as thin of straps ect.

• I understand what you are saying. There are a lot of different ways we look at the dress code. I think it depends on how we look at it. 

• I think that dress codes are mostly directed at females, but for a good reason. Guys don't wear crop tops and short shorts. I do think that they need to enforce the rules that they have on guys better, but I think that the dress code is fine. I do not think they need to change the dress code just because guys have less rules.

• I believe that a lot of school dress codes are more targeted at girls. Not only that, but I believe that the schools enforce the dress code a lot more towards girls as well. I thunk that if a boy and a girl both showed up as school in the same/similar outfit, the girl is much more likely to be dress coded.

• I can agree with that. I think that the female would get dress codded and looked at first because everybody mainly focuses on the females.

• I don’t necessarily think that the dress code applies to just females. There are some rules for men they’re just not as strict some might even say they are unfair. I do partially agree that it can be very unfair. For example, ripped jeans on a body that is about as big as mine compared to a girl who is “bigger” than me the “bigger” girl is more likely to get dress coded for it even though they're the exact same jeans. This could even happen with crop tops the “bigger” girl gets dress coded but I don’t. So in my opinion, they don’t need to change the the dress code just don’t be so strict on who gets to wear what it should be our choice on what we want to wear.

• I can see what you are saying. I agree with it should be everybody's choice what they wear, whether female or male. 

• well as things have ... changed in the 21st century all should be judged as a person not a "familliar gender" so every one should be held to the same amount of decency even if you are female male whatever the others are you should still respect rules of decency such as covered pits crotch and breast area, as well as aware that the fabric could be at different lengths and elasticity during various activities.

• Dress codes are most definitely pointed toward the female gender. But I would also want to point out, we aren't allowed to wear hats at school, BUT kids are allowed to wear DOG MUZZLES? What is up with this? We can't wear a tank top BUT someone can wear something that covers their face. We aren't allowed to wear crop tops and such because they are trying to get us ready for ' the real world" and to get a job in the marketplace. BUT someone can wear a muzzle. If I walked into a business meeting in New York, I wouldn't see them wearing hats or crop tops, but I also wouldn't be seeing them with Muzzles. Why is this allowed? 

• I agree with that. The dog muzzles do seem to confuse a lot of people. I could see that some teachers are thinking they are being worn as a covid mask. I could also see how they are trying to get us ready for "the real world," but also it does confuse me at times. I think we need to figure out how to dress for jobs ourselves and be able to grow into "adulthood" on our own. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker