School Banned Yearbook Picture of Trap Shoot Team

A member of the school board at Big Lake High School wrote on Facebook "The Trap Shoot team picture will not be in the year book due to shotguns being in the picture." One parents said that the students' guns are their equipment just like a football belongs to a football player and they way a basketball belongs to a  basketball player. One parent even threw in the mascot of the school because it is a wasp and said that the stinger must be a weapon so if they are doing that to the Trap Shoot Team they might as well get a new mascot.  Eventually after all of the complaints from parents they let the Trap Shoot Team in the Yearbook. 

A School Banned Yearbook Pictures Of The Trap-Shooting Team ... Because Of Guns

Read the story here

#1. Why do you think parents got so mad about this?

#2. Why do you think people are against guns?

My answers-I think parents that have kids on the Trap Shoot want to see their child's picture in the Yearbook some other parents might just think it is wrong because they see nothing wrong with guns. I think people are against guns because they think anyone that has one is going to shoot somebody. I personally see nothing wrong with guns. If the person behind the trigger is responsible and knows how to properly use a gun there is no problem. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Because it's true trap shooting requires guns that is what they need to do the sport. Just like football needs a football, volleyball needs a volleyball, soccer needs a soccer ball and so on. The sport wouldn't be anything without the guns it would just be called trap. People are against guns because people are killed with them and they think guns are bad but guns don't kill people, people kill people. 

• I think it was unfair for the students to be kicked out the the year book for this picture and I think the parents should get mad because it was just unfair. I am sure people think guns are bad and should not be in a school year book but I think the picture looks sweet.

• I agree with you all the way here. Even though people think that the guns are bad that doesn't mean that people could get treated unfairly because of something that the school allows them to do.

• I think that parents are mad because their kids would not get recognized for their accomplishments. I think that people are against guns because they are portrayed negatively and people use them to kill people. 

• If i was a parent I would be mad too because my child is outing their efforts out to this sport and they can't even get recognition in the yearbook. I mean yes guns are not the best thing for this world. But, not letting this team in the yearbook is not going to change to world on guns and gun control.

• The parents of the students were most likely angered by this because, like many argued, the shotguns are the sport’s equipment. I understand the school’s reason to remove the picture, guns have become the symbol of violence. In a way, the pictures seem to be promoting violence. You also have to take into consideration that a majority of schools are gun-free zones and the pictures might make it appear contradictory. Personally, I believe there should be stricter gun laws and background checks. As history has showed, guns only have one purpose and that is to kill.

• I would agree with you that parents and the students fell that the guns are equipment and that it. I also agree with you that guns have become a symbol of violence but I feel people should understand what the guns are really used for.

• They got mad because some kids only activity is trap shooting team and they want to see their kids get recognized for what they do. The picture isn't bad it's just them holding their equipment. People are against guns because they can be used to hurt people but a lot of the media these days takes it too far.

• The guns are their equivalent to football gear and baseball bats for the baseball team. All the parents wanted was for their kids to be recognized for what they enjoy doing.  

• I think people are so against guns because they think that they represent violence and things like that. I think that guns when used right can be a sport or even safety precaution like police officers and stuff. I personally do not think their is a problem with guns. People dont get killed because of the gun they get killed because of the person holding it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker