School Banned Yearbook Picture of Trap Shoot Team

A member of the school board at Big Lake High School wrote on Facebook "The Trap Shoot team picture will not be in the year book due to shotguns being in the picture." One parents said that the students' guns are their equipment just like a football belongs to a football player and they way a basketball belongs to a  basketball player. One parent even threw in the mascot of the school because it is a wasp and said that the stinger must be a weapon so if they are doing that to the Trap Shoot Team they might as well get a new mascot.  Eventually after all of the complaints from parents they let the Trap Shoot Team in the Yearbook. 

A School Banned Yearbook Pictures Of The Trap-Shooting Team ... Because Of Guns

Read the story here

#1. Why do you think parents got so mad about this?

#2. Why do you think people are against guns?

My answers-I think parents that have kids on the Trap Shoot want to see their child's picture in the Yearbook some other parents might just think it is wrong because they see nothing wrong with guns. I think people are against guns because they think anyone that has one is going to shoot somebody. I personally see nothing wrong with guns. If the person behind the trigger is responsible and knows how to properly use a gun there is no problem. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the parents got made because of the knowledge they have about the sport and also need to be clearly notified of why they are holding their guns. Guns don't hurt people, people hurt people. They think since the gun can do violence than it should not be allowed with is just ridiculous.

• I totally agree with you jacob. You are definitely right, guns dont hurt people, people hurt people. I think was a stupid situation and the school made the wrong decision.

• I think the parents got mad because they think that their children should get recognition and everything like that. Honestly if the school didnt post about it nobody probably would have even thought twice about the guns in the picture.

• I think that parents got mad because like any other sport they should get recognition. I also that some parents aren't comfortable with guns, which is fine but I personally don't think a picture of a gun can influence anyone to make a rash decision. I think people are scared of what has happened in the past with the shooting and other things like that.

• I think parents are getting mad about this because just like in other sports, they work hard to get better and they deserve recognition for doing trap shooting. They probably don't want to be putting pictures of guns in their yearbook because it's in a way promoting them no to buy but they are okay with school. 

• I think that parents got so mad about this because its completely absurd. If the sport is allowed to be at the school than their should be able to be put in the year book. Many people are against guns due to all of the tragic events that have been caused by the wrong people owning guns. 

• I think the parents got mad about this because it's stupid. Like they said, it's part of the equipment. You can't have a trap SHOOTing ream without SHOOTing equipment? Yes, I get it's banned from bringing into the school but it's a picture. If it not allowed in the yearbook it shouldn't be a school functioned activity. I think people are against guns because they see them as something bad. There is nothing wrong with them except for the fact that bad people use them to do bad things. 

• Parents probably got so mad about this because this might be the only thing that their kids are in and they wanted them in the yearbook. They probably think that one of these kids might bring a gun to school and start a shooting.

• I think that the parents were so upset about this because they want to see their child's trap shoot photo in the school yearbook. Also, if they allow their child to be in trap shoot, they probably see nothing wrong with allowing guns to be used for sport and think that the should be allowed in the yearbook. I think that people are against guns because they're so caught up in the idea that guns kill people- which I don't believe is true- people kill people; it's not like a gun is going to go out on its own and kill someone if you leave it alone for too long. So long as the guns are used for sport and nothing else, there's nothing wrong with allowing the photo to be shown in the yearbook.

• Because they wanted to make sure all sports and activities are in the yearbook and not leaving these students out. People are against guns because there are a few idiots out there that ruin it for the rest. A picture of a person with a gun is not gonna hurt anyone. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker