School Banned Yearbook Picture of Trap Shoot Team

A member of the school board at Big Lake High School wrote on Facebook "The Trap Shoot team picture will not be in the year book due to shotguns being in the picture." One parents said that the students' guns are their equipment just like a football belongs to a football player and they way a basketball belongs to a  basketball player. One parent even threw in the mascot of the school because it is a wasp and said that the stinger must be a weapon so if they are doing that to the Trap Shoot Team they might as well get a new mascot.  Eventually after all of the complaints from parents they let the Trap Shoot Team in the Yearbook. 

A School Banned Yearbook Pictures Of The Trap-Shooting Team ... Because Of Guns

Read the story here

#1. Why do you think parents got so mad about this?

#2. Why do you think people are against guns?

My answers-I think parents that have kids on the Trap Shoot want to see their child's picture in the Yearbook some other parents might just think it is wrong because they see nothing wrong with guns. I think people are against guns because they think anyone that has one is going to shoot somebody. I personally see nothing wrong with guns. If the person behind the trigger is responsible and knows how to properly use a gun there is no problem. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that they just wanted to make sure that the yearbook was not leaving people out on purpose, because they feel that they would feel discriminated. I think that they are against guns because of their power to cause harm to others, and those who oppose want to make sure that other are safe.

• This is a school event and i think that every event should be in the book. leaving this one out because of that is just stupid. People are against guns because people can use them to kill. If we were attempting to keep out everything that could kill then leave out EVERYTHING!

• They shouldn't really care too much because it makes sense that they don't want pictures of guns in the yearbook even though it kind of stinks for the kids on the team. Guns and school don't mix.

• I am going to have to disagree. If you were in an event wouldn't you want to be recognized for it?  The problem here isn't guns and school its Guns, Bad use, and school

• I disagree I think the guns should be in the picture because the guns are their equipment that they use just like other sports use basketballs, footballs, etc. I agree that guns and school don't mix but for a sport. I think they should be aloud and trap shoot ranges are never at the school.

•  I think that the parents are upset because they don't want their kids to be excluded from the yearbook just because of their equipment. I think that people are against guns, because they can be considered as a weapon if not used correctly. Some might think gun violence may be promoted by having the picture in the yearbook.

• I agree with you, I think if a gun is not used properly I think it is a weapon. It may look like the school is promoting guns with the picture but the students are using them for a specific purpose, and not using them for harm.

• They're probably a little upset because football, volleyball and basketball are probably the star sports of their school, so the trap shooting team is underfunded and overlooked. They just want their children to be included and appreciated. I think people are against guns because of all of the school shootings lately and the misuse of guns.

• I agree. Everyone wants to be recognized for stuff that they do and being left out is just something that no one wants to have done to them. Once again I agree. People see it that if 1 or few more make a bad choice then they think that a lot more if not all people will do the same thing

• I agree it is true that trap shoot is often overlooked and that the children should be included in the picture. I also agree that people are against guns because of the misuse lately. I personally think that people wouldn't be as against guns if there wasn't as many problems with the misuse of them. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker