School Banned Yearbook Picture of Trap Shoot Team

A member of the school board at Big Lake High School wrote on Facebook "The Trap Shoot team picture will not be in the year book due to shotguns being in the picture." One parents said that the students' guns are their equipment just like a football belongs to a football player and they way a basketball belongs to a  basketball player. One parent even threw in the mascot of the school because it is a wasp and said that the stinger must be a weapon so if they are doing that to the Trap Shoot Team they might as well get a new mascot.  Eventually after all of the complaints from parents they let the Trap Shoot Team in the Yearbook. 

A School Banned Yearbook Pictures Of The Trap-Shooting Team ... Because Of Guns

Read the story here

#1. Why do you think parents got so mad about this?

#2. Why do you think people are against guns?

My answers-I think parents that have kids on the Trap Shoot want to see their child's picture in the Yearbook some other parents might just think it is wrong because they see nothing wrong with guns. I think people are against guns because they think anyone that has one is going to shoot somebody. I personally see nothing wrong with guns. If the person behind the trigger is responsible and knows how to properly use a gun there is no problem. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• The picture shows their children's accomplishment of being on the trap shooting team and all parents want to support their kids. I also feel that they want the school to be fair to every student. If they didn't put this in the yearbook then they should put any sports pictures because that is showing those kids accomplishments. I think that they are just scared because everyone seems to think that guns are bad. It isn't the gun they should fear but the person holding it. These kids use these guns as a sport and not as a weapon. 

• I totally agree with everything you are saying. Parents do want to see what their kids have done during the school year, and if your child's team's picture isn't in the yearbook why should other team be in the year book. Many people do think guns are bad even know they aren't. I strongly agree that the person holding the gun is what we need to worry about, not the guns themselves.

• I think that the parents got mad because they wanted to see their kids in the yearbook, just like everybody else's kids are. I think that people were against this because they don't like to see kids with guns. They think that kids may get an idea with the guns they are holding. 

• I would definitely want to see my kid in they year book after all the work they put in it. People may think kids and guns are not a good mix, bu ti think if you talk to your kid about the proper gun use then there shouldn't be a problem. 

• The way I see it is that its not that they aren't being seen. They would be shown but the thing that the parents were mad about is that their kids made an accomplishment and they aren't going to do represented for that in the yearbook

•  I think that the parents of the students on the trap shooting team wouldn't want their kids to be excluded from the yearbook just because of their equipment. I think that people are against guns because if some one on the team were to bring their gun to school and use them as a weapon, they might feel like if was promoted by the picture in the yearbook.

• I would be very upset if my kid wasn't in the year for a stupid reason like that. I think parents should talk to their children about gun safety, that way they know how to properly use a gun. 

• I think the parents got do mad as they want their children to be in the picture as any other students with a sport, I think people are against guns as they think that it's not appropriate in school environments.

• I would also want my kids to be in the yearbook for a sport that they tried really hard in. I think that guns are not something you should bring to school but trap-shoot is a school sport but it doesn't take place at the school itself.

• I think they got so mad because it was such a stupid reason to not have them in the yearbook. I would definitely get upset at something like that. Probably because they are seen as a "weapon"

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker