School Banned Yearbook Picture of Trap Shoot Team

A member of the school board at Big Lake High School wrote on Facebook "The Trap Shoot team picture will not be in the year book due to shotguns being in the picture." One parents said that the students' guns are their equipment just like a football belongs to a football player and they way a basketball belongs to a  basketball player. One parent even threw in the mascot of the school because it is a wasp and said that the stinger must be a weapon so if they are doing that to the Trap Shoot Team they might as well get a new mascot.  Eventually after all of the complaints from parents they let the Trap Shoot Team in the Yearbook. 

A School Banned Yearbook Pictures Of The Trap-Shooting Team ... Because Of Guns

Read the story here

#1. Why do you think parents got so mad about this?

#2. Why do you think people are against guns?

My answers-I think parents that have kids on the Trap Shoot want to see their child's picture in the Yearbook some other parents might just think it is wrong because they see nothing wrong with guns. I think people are against guns because they think anyone that has one is going to shoot somebody. I personally see nothing wrong with guns. If the person behind the trigger is responsible and knows how to properly use a gun there is no problem. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I can definitely see how this turned into a very controversial situation.  Guns themselves are a very contentious subject, but I think this issue ended correctly.  I understand that guns are harmful if in the hands of the someone who does not know how to properly use one. I also realize that by putting a picture containing guns into a yearbook, the school could be seen as promoting the use of guns.  However, trapshooting is a school-sponsored sport, just like any other sport, and I find it unfair that their picture would have been excluded from the yearbook. Like the parents argued, a gun to a trapshooter is the same as a football to a football player. I think that the school made a wise decision by finally allowing the picture in the yearbook. 

• I think they are a team and should but put in the year book. Trap shooting is a sport like anything else. I understand why people are against guns but its people that control guns these are kids shooting at clay targets. 

• I agree, they are a school team and they deserve to be put into the yearbook. I also get why people are afraid of guns, but like you said, they are shooting at clay targets. 

• Because it is a school sponsored thing, it is very common and a part of the culture where they live. Guns can either be something people admire, and use daily to have fun or hunt and stuff, but for other people who don't understand the connection people have with them, they are just machines for killing stuff.

• We can't show a picture of the trap shoot team because there are guns in it. That's the same as if you would say you can't show a picture of the football team because they have balls, helmets, and pads. That's so ridiculous!

• I think that the parents got mad about it because it's their kids and an activity that the school has. They had a good point when they said that they were equipment. It's equipment the same as anything else. If you don't treat it with respect and use it inappropriately there can be consequences. I think that people are so against guns because they scare them. Guns shouldn't scare, the wrong people with guns should scare you.

• Because just because there is a gun in the picture and its part of the sport doesn't mean you have to not put the picture in the yearbook. I believe that they are against guns and stuff because they have been a big problem lately.

• I think parents probably got mad because they thought it was unfair that their kids couldn't be in the yearbook but other kids in other activities could. I think people take offense to guns because of the things that can happen with them; even if the person is responsible, accidents can still happen.

• The parents of the Trap shoot team kids probably felt like it was unfair for all the other kids to be in the year book for their sports. I think the only reason the picture wasn't aloud in the year book was because of the guns and that also makes sense because guns are harmful. 

• I think parents got mad because the trap team should be recognized just like all the other sports. It also probably made a lot of the students feel left out. I think they are against guns because of all the stories about people getting hurt or even killed by them. It probably makes them nervous seeing the kids with the guns.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker