School Banned Yearbook Picture of Trap Shoot Team

A member of the school board at Big Lake High School wrote on Facebook "The Trap Shoot team picture will not be in the year book due to shotguns being in the picture." One parents said that the students' guns are their equipment just like a football belongs to a football player and they way a basketball belongs to a  basketball player. One parent even threw in the mascot of the school because it is a wasp and said that the stinger must be a weapon so if they are doing that to the Trap Shoot Team they might as well get a new mascot.  Eventually after all of the complaints from parents they let the Trap Shoot Team in the Yearbook. 

A School Banned Yearbook Pictures Of The Trap-Shooting Team ... Because Of Guns

Read the story here

#1. Why do you think parents got so mad about this?

#2. Why do you think people are against guns?

My answers-I think parents that have kids on the Trap Shoot want to see their child's picture in the Yearbook some other parents might just think it is wrong because they see nothing wrong with guns. I think people are against guns because they think anyone that has one is going to shoot somebody. I personally see nothing wrong with guns. If the person behind the trigger is responsible and knows how to properly use a gun there is no problem. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• The parents most likely were upset because they view Trap Shooting as a sport or activity just like basketball, football, golf, and other school clubs. Maybe people think it encourages violence because it can be used as a weapon. In my opinion, this is perfectly fine for this photo because the guns are what they have to use.

• 1. Their kids might not all be athletic and involved in a lot. This means that this could be there one shot to shine and now it's being taken away from them.

2. They think it promotes violence. They think that they could kill someone or they don't like the idea of hunting.

• I agree with you about how this picture might mean so much to the kids that are in this sport. Schools shouldn't think that picture promotes violence but only promotes support for their sport and their passion.

• If I was a parent of one of these members I would be mad because this is their sport and that shouldn't affect having their picture in the yearbook plus  getting recognition.  There is nothing wrong with the picture and how they are posing. I think that people are against guns because it can promote a negative outlook or may look violent. They might also think that guns automatically means bad and that they might do something bad with the guns. 

• I agree, I would be upset if my child was not in the Yearbook. I also agree that people are against guns because they think they are violent and that guns are bad even if no on is using them. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker