San Diego Police Killed 15 Year Old

On Saturday San Diego police were called to Torrey Pines High School. The student that was shot was the one that called the police department on behalf of a student that had "welfare" problems which was a lie. He was referring to himself which authorities later figured out. The officers reported to the school to the student at the school and as they got out of the squad cars the student pulled a BB gun on the officers. They then pulled guns on the student and were forced to shoot when he disobeyed their orders to stop and drop the gun, he walked towards them and they shot. They did not release the students name. On Monday there will be a crisis response team on school properties at all times. 

Questions:

1. If you were a police men in this situation what would you have done? 

2. Do you think it is a good idea to have a crisis response team at the school? Why or why not?

My Opinion: I personally don't know how I would have approached it, and that is why I will never be able to be a police officer. I think it is a good idea to have a unit on call for the school, but I don't know if it is a good idea to have the crisis team in school all day because it may cause an even more tense situation. 

Click here for link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done!

• i would try to solve the problem non voilently and only shoot if i had to and not try to shoot right at the child. its a goo thought that was taken advantage of. thats reall all it was from that point of view.

• I would have followed protocol, fire off a warning. I think that they should remain normal as possible, but it wouldn't hurt anything if they'd include a few more officers at least until school is out.

• I think I would've done the same thing. As bad as it sounds, the kid kept coming at them and i'm sure they weren't aware that it was a BB gun. As a police officer, they have to protect themselves too and make fast decisions. I think it's good to have the crisis response team but not for the entire day. It can cause more stress to the situation than original. 

• I think I probably would have followed protocol, maybe let off a shot but not to hit the student. I think that they should try and keep going as normally as possible, but it wouldn't really hurt anything if they'd include a few officers at least until school is out. 

• I would have followed protocol and maybe fire off a warning shot to show I'm not prankin. I think that a crisis response team would be good because you can never be too safe at a place with the youth of America

• I agree I think a warning shot would've been better to do instead of shooting the student. But, at the same time the kid should've been following directions and not done that to the officers. They should have been respecting the officer not pointing a beebee gun at them. 

• I agree with you because then he would have maybe backed off and they would have been able to help the student. I think they should have a team that could respond to a situation right away. 

• I would have shot, that is protocol and the student should have known better. No, that is overkill. All they need is a response team near the school and ready at all times.

• I disagree because if I were an adult, I don't think I would have been able to pull the trigger on a student. I agree though that they just need a team on call so they can be ready to respond to a situation if they need it. I think it might cause more harm than good to have a team walking around school all day. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker