San Diego Police Killed 15 Year Old

On Saturday San Diego police were called to Torrey Pines High School. The student that was shot was the one that called the police department on behalf of a student that had "welfare" problems which was a lie. He was referring to himself which authorities later figured out. The officers reported to the school to the student at the school and as they got out of the squad cars the student pulled a BB gun on the officers. They then pulled guns on the student and were forced to shoot when he disobeyed their orders to stop and drop the gun, he walked towards them and they shot. They did not release the students name. On Monday there will be a crisis response team on school properties at all times. 

Questions:

1. If you were a police men in this situation what would you have done? 

2. Do you think it is a good idea to have a crisis response team at the school? Why or why not?

My Opinion: I personally don't know how I would have approached it, and that is why I will never be able to be a police officer. I think it is a good idea to have a unit on call for the school, but I don't know if it is a good idea to have the crisis team in school all day because it may cause an even more tense situation. 

Click here for link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would have fired a warning shot and if the kid still tried to move towards the police I wouldn't have shot to kill. No, I think that the school should try to go along as usual as possible.

•  I agree with you because if you fired that shot it might have caused him fear and he might have backed off and could have saved his life. I think they should try to stay as normal except for the fact that they should have a team on call if needed to do so. 

• I would not take action immediately. This kid has been through some stuff. Negotiations are possible.

Yes, of course. Anything can happen. Dangerous emotional breakdowns, school shootings, natural disasters. 

• I would try to talk to them before shooting them, or if they came toward me, I might shoot them in the leg or something that wouldn't be life-threatening. I think that having a crisis response team is a good idea because they could be more prepared and prevent events like this from happening again. This is very scary, but I think the police could have avoided shooting him.

• I would try to talk to the person instead of opening fire on them because we don't know what they are truly capable of.  Yes I think the having a crisis response team is smart have a group of people try to prevent the same situation from happening again. 

• I don't know what I would have done in this situation but I think that I felt that I was in danger I would defend myself. I think that if the school feels that they need a crisis response team that they should get one. 

• I think that it would be nearly impossible to shoot a student if I were in the cops position. I also think that there needs to be a response team close to the school, but not necessarily on campus the entire time so they don't cause more harm than good. 

• If i was in this situation i would not end his life. I know there was a gun but ending his life was way to far. There is other ways to slow down the process like injuring her or getting her better but i would not injure him. I feel like a response team is a very good idea because things happen when they are the less suspected.

• In the position of one of the police officers, I would not have fired to kill, especially someone as young as 15 years old. I understand the boy did posses what seemed to be a real gun at the time, but the officers could have injured him instead ending his life. I believe having a crisis response team at school is needed and important. Tragedies happen unbeknownst to many people, but by having a crisis response team at school it would prevent horrific events.

• I think i would have reacted the same way the officers did. The kid did not deserve to die but if he pulled a gun on the cops even if was a BB gun its still vary serious. I think a crisis hotline is a good idea even if nothing never happens its still a good idea if something does happen.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker