San Diego Police Killed 15 Year Old

On Saturday San Diego police were called to Torrey Pines High School. The student that was shot was the one that called the police department on behalf of a student that had "welfare" problems which was a lie. He was referring to himself which authorities later figured out. The officers reported to the school to the student at the school and as they got out of the squad cars the student pulled a BB gun on the officers. They then pulled guns on the student and were forced to shoot when he disobeyed their orders to stop and drop the gun, he walked towards them and they shot. They did not release the students name. On Monday there will be a crisis response team on school properties at all times. 

Questions:

1. If you were a police men in this situation what would you have done? 

2. Do you think it is a good idea to have a crisis response team at the school? Why or why not?

My Opinion: I personally don't know how I would have approached it, and that is why I will never be able to be a police officer. I think it is a good idea to have a unit on call for the school, but I don't know if it is a good idea to have the crisis team in school all day because it may cause an even more tense situation. 

Click here for link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I honestly have to disagree with you. The officer's decision may not have been the best, but it's not like he had time to sit around and mull it over. In the heat of that moment, it was likely shoot or be shot and he shot to protect himself and his fellow officers. Also, although the kid was young and definitely didn't deserve to die, I wouldn't call him innocent, since he brought a gun to school and was obviously stirring up trouble.

• I believe that the police officer handled it the right way, but if I was a police officer I really do not know what I would do. I think it is a good idea atleast for a while just to show the family that they are trying to prevent things like this in the future and things like that.

• Yes I do believe that this was a very good idea to have a crisis response team at the school because they don't know that this was going to happen. And you can't just blow that off. Students could have been injured or badly hurt. You never know what the person is going to do and its better to be safe than sorry. You never fully know whats going to happen if someone brings a gun to school. Better to be safe than sorry. 

• I don't think anyone could guess that think was going to happen.  I don't think you could have a crisis response team at all times because then every school on the United States would have to have one. I think that action needs to be taken for the protection of the students, but that doesn't mean fully take away a students rights. 

• I would have done something very similar, if I were the cop in that situation. The kid had a weapons and was refusing to follow orders, while threatening the police at the same time. I think that having a crisis team was a fine idea, although it could have raised tensions. 

• I would have pulled my taser quickly and waited to see his next action because while a taser isn't as fearing striking as a gun it will incapacitate them especially since they have only a BB gun and those just hurt. Yes, for schools that see crisis daily and need to have a team ready to take care of them and resolve the crisis immediately.

• I agree with you because then with a taser you have a much better chance of keeping him alive rather than making him lose his life. With a taser you can keep him from causing harm and also keeping the gunshots from maybe hurting others around him. I think they need to have a team on call ready just in case an incident were to arise. 

• I would have shot the kid in his arm or just tazed him, but in the heat of the moment idk maybe what I say I would have done would be different,  Yes I do because they would be able to help in situations.

• I think I would have just tazed him because then he could have lived and maybe somehow turn his life around in the right direction. There also needs to be a team ready to react if there is a situation, but I don't know if they need to be on school grounds.

• I would have done the exact same thing because I want to protect my life so I do not get hurt. I don't think they need a crisis response team at the school maybe a police officer would be good enough. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker