San Diego Police Killed 15 Year Old

On Saturday San Diego police were called to Torrey Pines High School. The student that was shot was the one that called the police department on behalf of a student that had "welfare" problems which was a lie. He was referring to himself which authorities later figured out. The officers reported to the school to the student at the school and as they got out of the squad cars the student pulled a BB gun on the officers. They then pulled guns on the student and were forced to shoot when he disobeyed their orders to stop and drop the gun, he walked towards them and they shot. They did not release the students name. On Monday there will be a crisis response team on school properties at all times. 

Questions:

1. If you were a police men in this situation what would you have done? 

2. Do you think it is a good idea to have a crisis response team at the school? Why or why not?

My Opinion: I personally don't know how I would have approached it, and that is why I will never be able to be a police officer. I think it is a good idea to have a unit on call for the school, but I don't know if it is a good idea to have the crisis team in school all day because it may cause an even more tense situation. 

Click here for link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't know if I would have been able to shoot him even if my life was in danger. I agree that they don't need a crisis response team, but I think it is a good idea to have someone close to respond to a situation just in case. 

• I would have tried to shot close to them but miss hitting the person or try to shoot something like his leg where he wouldn't kill the kid. I think that this is a hard situation to be in because they weren't listening to the officers. What's the officer supposed to do? Follow the law and respect officers and you won't get shot. I think it good idea to have protection at the school. 

• If I were a cop in this situation, I would have done something similar to what they did. The student had a gun, and he was threatening the cops- do you think they would just let him shoot them? Although, I would probably just shoot him in the leg or somewhere that wouldn't kill him, but keep him from killing me. I think that it was good that they had the police there, so nothing would happen to any innocent students, but then again that may have made the situation more tense than it otherwise would have been.

• I think the officers should have tried to come up from behind him and take it from him but if he was shooting the police should shoot back. I think the crisis response team would be better if it were a county or state wide team because the odds of another incident in the same school are still low.

• I agree, in this situation a cop should shoot back because they need to also protect themselves.  I agree there are not good odds of this happening again at the same school, so keeping a crisis team there may not be the best idea. 

• I would have fired because that is protocol, he was potentially dangerous. I think the crisis response team could help calm people down but it could also draw more attention to the incident.

• That is why I could not be a cop, because in situations like that I would not know what to do, but it was good he chose to fire since that is protocol.  The crisis team I also agree they are just going to draw more attention to the incident than that maybe is needed. 

• I think that I would have also pulled the trigger because he was disobeying orders and had a gun of some type. I don't know what the crisis response team does but if they think it will help to not have this happen ever again then let them do it. 

• Most cops also would have pulled the trigger because he was not listening and had a type of gun, the police officer has to protect himself so I agree.  I really do not know if the crisis team needs to be there though, yeah they may be helping a little but also could be causing more problems that are unwanted. 

• I don't know what I would do if I was in this situation because I would not want to kill a kid in grade school. I might aim for the legs and not something that would kill the kid. I think that it was a good idea to have the crisis team respond to help calm people down.  

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker