San Diego Police Killed 15 Year Old

On Saturday San Diego police were called to Torrey Pines High School. The student that was shot was the one that called the police department on behalf of a student that had "welfare" problems which was a lie. He was referring to himself which authorities later figured out. The officers reported to the school to the student at the school and as they got out of the squad cars the student pulled a BB gun on the officers. They then pulled guns on the student and were forced to shoot when he disobeyed their orders to stop and drop the gun, he walked towards them and they shot. They did not release the students name. On Monday there will be a crisis response team on school properties at all times. 

Questions:

1. If you were a police men in this situation what would you have done? 

2. Do you think it is a good idea to have a crisis response team at the school? Why or why not?

My Opinion: I personally don't know how I would have approached it, and that is why I will never be able to be a police officer. I think it is a good idea to have a unit on call for the school, but I don't know if it is a good idea to have the crisis team in school all day because it may cause an even more tense situation. 

Click here for link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• If I knew that it was a BB gun then I would have just went and tackled him, otherwise I pry would have done the same thing. I think it is a good idea to have someone there in case something breaks out and the teachers cant stop it.

• I agree with you because then you know you aren't in as much danger. If you didn't know it was though, I don't think I would have been able to do anything to harm him. I think they should have people on call, but not on campus because it might do more harm. 

• If I was a police officer in this situation, it would be very difficult to decide what to do. I think it is okay to have crisis responders at larger school, but I don't think a school like ours would really need one.

• If i was the police i don't know if i would want to shoot the kid but if he kept walking and didn't listen to me then i would probably shoot him. I think it is a good idea to make sure nothing else happens. 

• If i was the police men i would be scared and wouldn't really know what to do. i would try to stop the shooting as best as i can.  I feel if there were a crisis team at the school it could be better but people will take things to the next level to make the problems worse 

• I don't really know what I would've done to stop the student. I would try my hardest not to shoot him and hurt him just because he is a child and at school while it is happening. I think it is a good idea to have one because if other students get the same idea everyone will be a lot more protected then if there was no crisis team.

• I would try to not shoot him if I didn't have to. Maybe I would use pepper spray or taser him. Although in some situations, you have to defend yourself and hurt the other person. I do think it is good to have a crisis response team at the school just in case this situation or something like it happens again. 

• I agree that I would try my best to not kill the victim. The officers need to take the process a little more slowly and think of all the tiny details so that people don't get killed.  

• 1. I would've taken more precaution. I would've tried to tell the student what happens if he doesn't drop the gun. 

2. Yes because that way you can get all of the students safe in a short amount of time. I think that more schools need to have this program.

• I would have waited to see what he was going to do. I would have tried to probably taser him, or find another way to get him to stop. I think it is a very good thing to have a crisis response team, because you don't know what people are going to do.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker