Russia Banned from 2018 winter Olympics

Could you imagine the United states being banned from the Olympics at all? 

In this article it is talked about how Russia has been barred from the Winter Olympics coming up this next month. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/07/learning/will-banning-russia-from-the-2018-winter-games-stop-future-doping-in-the-olympics.html?rref=collection%2Fspotlightcollection%2Flearning-current-events&action=click&contentCollection=learning&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=15&pgtype=collection

Please tell me your opinion on this and how you would feel as an athlete and not being able to go. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Sidnie,

Your summary is super short and you didn't reply to any student comments. -5 late

• The Olympics is a pretty big thing to watch in the US and they make quite a bit of money off of it. So the US getting banned would be terrible for the economy and the athletes that had spent their whole lives preparing.

•  I am not much of an athlete so it would not effect me very much, but for someone who is it could effect. Each person would act differently to this. Some people would get really upset and some would just keep doing what they do for next year. It also depends if you have maybe gone to the olympics or not. If you haven't gone and have been working toward it your whole life, then you may be more upset also. I would not want to go through all the training they do, but I am not saying it would not be cool in the end. In the article, Russia made that chose and needs to pay for it. 

• 1. I personally would not be affected if the US got banned from the Olympics but I know many many people would be saddened and affected. Some people spends hours, days, months training for this and to have it just disappear would distroy some people. I feel like the people who made the choice to do drugs should be punished but not the team as a whole. It was their decision to do it so they should pay the price. 

• I couldn't imagine United States ever being banned at the Olympics. The always compete very high and always have high expectations. I don't think Russia should be banned from the Winter Olympics. But competitors from Russia should be punished for doping. The whole country itself shouldn't be punished due to several or few people did. But maybe in the future they could have a strict rule you can't compete if you took drugs to enhance your'e performance. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker