Roe v Wade Overturned

Roe v Wade Overturned

On June 24, 2022, the Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade (the landmark piece of legislation that made having access to abortions a federal right in the U.S.) By making this decision, they allowed states to decide their abortion laws. Some states that have limited access or completely banned abortions include but aren’t limited to Alabama, Ohio, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, and more. Many people across the nation are still mad about this.

The only alternative to abortion is child birth. Child birth has approximately a 14x higher probability of death than abortions. Clinics in states that haven’t banned or restricted abortions find themselves struggling with having enough staff to help people. 

I personally think that the court made the wrong decision on this case. Now, this has been in question for many years being such a controversial topic. Many people say that “abortion is murder”. Whilst others believe they should have a say as to what happens to them/their fetus.

What are your thoughts on this?

Do you think they made the right or wrong decision and why?

Source(s): https://www.american.edu/cas/news/roe-v-wade-overturned-what-it-means-whats-next.cfm 

https://www.guttmacher.org/2023/01/six-months-post-roe-24-us-states-have-banned-abortion-or-are-likely-do-so-roundup

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that abortion should be illegal in all states unless they need to for a medical decision. I believe the supreme court was right in the decision on Roe v Wade. If you get pregnant then you should have to deal with the consequents. There are also tons of women that cannot get pregnant and would be willing to adopt the baby. 

• I get your view on this however I have to disagree. By making it illegal, the states would not only be shutting down clinics and forcing people out of jobs, but they would also be endangering the lives of countless women. Which, I assume, is why you said, "Unless they need to for a medical reason".

• I think that women should have the choice it is their bodys and their choice but i don't think its right that they are taking anothers life. They are basically taking their future away from them and personally i don't think thats fair. Having a kid is the beautiful thing in life you are creating another human being and its a wonderful thing about life. Just think they won't be able to expirence the joys of life because you aborted if you don't wan't to have kids don't have sex or use a condom. But if you were raped I understand that. I do think that if you are in a relationship you should at least talk about it before you get one because one might wanna keep it and the other might not.

• Women having the choice on whether or not they have a child or not is something that many people across the globe disagree on. But on a related note, by having an abortion, they are preventing many things. Whether it's bad parenting, a bad life for the child in foster care, or even if they're just not ready yet. 

• I believe the carrier should decide. Although some abortion regulations don't sit right with me, individuals with birth complications, etc. should have access to abortions. I can see where they are coming from, however, instead of leaving it up to the state, they should've added restrictions. 

• I like your perspective of the mother deciding. Access to abortion should be reliable in each state so the mother at least has a choice. The idea of restrictions is also good; maybe instead of getting it just because, they could get it for medical concerns...

• I personally think that it should be your choice whether or not you keep the baby or get an abortion. Therefore, I believe that The Supreme Court was wrong in making the decision to overturn Roe VS. Wade. The government should not have a say in what we do with our bodies. It does not matter whether or not a few people will look down on you for it. If you were put in a situation where you were r*ped you get pregnant and are unable to get an abortion because it is illegal in your state. You are then put in a situation where you have to have a baby with your r*pist and have to go through that trauma again and possibly have that happen again. Roe VS. Wade made a lot of women everywhere feel safe and comfortable in today's world. Knowing that they could make decisions for themselves for their life and their body it showed how far women have come before the 1920s. Now that in some states it is illegal to make that decision and feel safe. We might as well be taking a step back to when women didn’t get to have a voice at all.

• I like your perspective a lot. By overturning this legislature, they are taking away basic human rights. when you said, "We might as well be taking a step back to when women didn't get to have a voice at all," that really sparked something in me. By having the choice to choose, we are taking a huge step as a society.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker